Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

I've always been interested in the way that this project has always been described by its builders as if it were three separate buildings: one podium and two towers. (For instance, their insistence on distinguishing the height of the 44-storey towers from the eight-storey podium.) Seems that they really are somewhat independent structures after all.

Nice!
So the black part is the Hotel St. Germain?
The windows look to be the right size for hotel rooms and they are operable.

The black cladding looks very sharp, and the "splitting" of the podium looks like it will be quite successful. There is an impression that there are two independent structures there, rather than one.

Now I'm looking forward to the towers going up.

There is an impression that there are two independent structures there, rather than one.

Especially since the floor heights appear to be different, with the south part having taller floors (as most office buildings do) and one less floor than the north part.

IMG_2453.jpg

courtesy of Solaris

Last edited:
the black panels look really sharp. i definitely like the glossy look much better than a matte or dull finish.

Due to the bulk of the structure and the fact that the towers will be so similar in their design, I don't think the architects were at all successful in differentiating the building into two perceivably "separate" blocks. It just looks awkward, and like the two different podium sections are too chunky for their widths.

If the base is going to be this large, they'd may as well have kept the original design with stone and glass across the entire base.

:(

Looks like the top floor of the hotel will have a recessed wrap-around balcony, while the office side will have curtain wall to the podium roofline.

Due to the bulk of the structure and the fact that the towers will be so similar in their design, I don't think the architects were at all successful in differentiating the building into two perceivably "separate" blocks. It just looks awkward, and like the two different podium sections are too chunky for their widths.

If the base is going to be this large, they'd may as well have kept the original design with stone and glass across the entire base.

:(

Urbanity, isn't it a little early to bury MLS? It's not even fully born, but you declare the articulation to be awkward and unsuccessful. While I admit I'm in the other camp - it's looking promising to me - I know there are still many design details to be revealed.

Urbanity, isn't it a little early to bury MLS? It's not even fully born, but you declare the articulation to be awkward and unsuccessful. While I admit I'm in the other camp - it's looking promising to me - I know there are still many design details to be revealed.

I agree, plus when you see it in person it really looks amazing. The quality of the materials is what really makes it stand out. Also, the area looks so much better already!!

there's nothing too special about the facade material in the 'office section' of the podium ... but Urbanity, its certainly worth your while to swing down and see the exterior finishing of the 'hotel section', I was definitely impressed when I saw it in person (photos don't quite do the justice here :))

I love the black too. This is far surpassing my expectations, so far. I also like what it does for its context in lending so much more vitality to the Air Canada Centre which always seemed to me a little lost and forlorn in its lonely location.

The transfer slab for the north tower is being poured today. Lots of concrete trucks waiting in line down there.

Back