Toronto Maple Leaf Square | 185.92m | 54s | Lanterra | KPMB

I'm not on board with Urbandreamer on this one. Even if the land became so valuable in the next decade, that made the need to build on the site of the ACC so necessary, then I still think my other idea I posted before, that they suspend towers over the ACC, would happen before they removed it and built fresh.

I'm not on board with Urbandreamer on this one. Even if the land became so valuable in the next decade, that made the need to build on the site of the ACC so necessary, then I still think my other idea I posted before, that they suspend towers over the ACC, would happen before they removed it and built fresh.

This is the ideal solution in my mind but I wonder what the cost would be. Are there any examples of towers being built over previously existing arenas? I'm guessing that the Leafs and Raptors would have to move to a temporary location during construction.

This is the ideal solution in my mind but I wonder what the cost would be. Are there any examples of towers being built over previously existing arenas? I'm guessing that the Leafs and Raptors would have to move to a temporary location during construction.

construction over top of the arena would take place between April and October.....neither the Raps nor Leafs would have to move too many (any?) games.

construction over top of the arena would take place between April and October.....neither the Raps nor Leafs would have to move too many (any?) games.

Constructing anything over the ACC would take far longer than 6 months, unless you mean to say that construction would halt during the season then countinue again once the players go golfing. I can't imagine a developer agreeing to stop and start construction over and over again.

Constructing anything over the ACC would take far longer than 6 months, unless you mean to say that construction would halt during the season then countinue again once the players go golfing. I can't imagine a developer agreeing to stop and start construction over and over again.

Welll, I was, you know, making a joke about the playoff fortunes of the two teams.....but since any structure above the ACC would not be supported by the ACC itself (pretty sure it was not built to support an office tower above...I assume some struture around the perimeter of the arena itself would be built and once that it got up over the arena that you could keep going up even if there was hockey taking place below.....having trouble putting this into words probably cause I find the whole concept highly unlikely and I was only funning in the first place.

The ACC is one of the busiest entertainment facilities on the planet. Besides 41 home Leaf and 41 home Raptors games (plus playoffs some time in the distant future) as well as Rock games the ACC ranks 4th in the entire world for concert attendance and 2nd for concert revenue (MSG is #1). A significant and very costly addition plus interior upgrades have been completed in the last couple years for the building's 10th anniversary. It isn't going anywhere for a long long time.

The ACC is one of the busiest entertainment facilities on the planet. Besides 41 home Leaf and 41 home Raptors games (plus playoffs some time in the distant future) as well as Rock games the ACC ranks 4th in the entire world for concert attendance and 2nd for concert revenue (MSG is #1). A significant and very costly addition plus interior upgrades have been completed in the last couple years for the building's 10th anniversary. It isn't going anywhere for a long long time.

Well put.

Construction over top of the arena is the craziest idea i have heard in a while, next thing you know they will be saying.. why not just for the kicks have a couple 50 storey towers over top the new proposed aquarium, hey i like density and tall buildings, but this is nuts.

if it was my perfect world i would move the leafs back into maple leaf gardens and demolish that embarrassment of a building they call the air canada centre. the raps could have a stadium built for themselves somewhere in the portlands.

what the.... embarassment??? have you ever been inside the acc? It's regarded as one of the nicer arenas in north america.

Haha oh urbandreamer.. look at what you caused! :p
But anyone calling the ACC an embarrassment either has never been in the building or had a very, very bad experience in it because it is indeed one of the best arenas in both the NHL and NBA, as well as one of the busiest venues in NA or the world. A venue does not get enough business to get that reputation if it is indeed an "embarrassment"..

But anyone calling the ACC an embarrassment either has never been in the building or had a very, very bad experience in it because it is indeed one of the best arenas in both the NHL and NBA, as well as one of the busiest venues in NA or the world. A venue does not get enough business to get that reputation if it is indeed an "embarrassment"..

I have been in about half the arenas in the NHL....ACC is, neither, an embarressment nor amongst the best arenas in the league....that said, it is a good arena (in that cookie-cutter, their all the same, modern sense) and, more importantly, a glowing success in terms of attracting events and customers (ie. it is a financial superstar amongst arenas).

Isn't EVERY leafs game a very, very bad experience.(rimshot)

I have been in about half the arenas in the NHL....ACC is, neither, an embarressment nor amongst the best arenas in the league....that said, it is a good arena (in that cookie-cutter, their all the same, modern sense) and, more importantly, a glowing success in terms of attracting events and customers (ie. it is a financial superstar amongst arenas).

i've been in several myself.. and i would say the acc is definitely amongst the best arenas in the league

Back