Toronto Manulife Centre Podium and Streetscape Renewal | 9.75m | 2s | Manulife Real Estate | MdeAS Architects

Apparently, the grounds and lower façade of the residential tower and the parking entrance are being redone mostly for technical issues, such as water infiltration, but I suppose it's a good time to better harmonize them with the rest of the complex.

Inside, Manulife has announced hallway renovations beginning this fall; even suite doors will be replaced. A few vacant suites on our floor were gutted and extensively renovated, and while I was at the receiving docks a couple of weeks ago, I saw the arrival of a large shipment of Fisher & Paykel appliances, so obviously they are going more high-end. If they don't apply for rent increases higher than the guideline, I'll eat my ballcap.

View of the grounds in front of 44 Charles.
20230719_112118.jpg

Apparently, the grounds and lower façade of the residential tower and the parking entrance are being redone mostly for technical issues, such as water infiltration, but I suppose it's a good time to better harmonize them with the rest of the complex.

Inside, Manulife has announced hallway renovations beginning this fall; even suite doors will be replaced. A few vacant suites on our floor were gutted and extensively renovated, and while I was at the receiving docks a couple of weeks ago, I saw the arrival of a large shipment of Fisher & Paykel appliances, so obviously they are going more high-end. If they don't apply for rent increases higher than the guideline, I'll eat my ballcap.

I appreciate your keen analysis of Manulife's likely behavior....

I would, however, suggest, that in the unlikely event you are wrong, eating a ballcap would likely cause more gastrointestinal issues than it would solve.

Besides, you'd have to go buy one first as it doesn't fit your dapper aesthetic.

Last edited:
I was told by the leasing agent that all vacant units are being upgraded to, quote, "condo standards". Which means I'm staying put in my unit...

I was told by the leasing agent that all vacant units are being upgraded to, quote, "condo standards". Which means I'm staying put in my unit...
"Condo standards". I suppose that might mean replacing hardwood floors with cheap laminate, shoehorning their fancy Fisher & Paykel appliances in micro-kitchens, subdividing their 3-bedroom apartments into 250 sq. ft. bachelors at $3,000/month, or maybe fire most of their maintenance staff and force us to take our recycling down to P1 like I did in all the condo buildings I lived in.

"Condo standards". I suppose that might mean replacing hardwood floors with cheap laminate, shoehorning their fancy Fisher & Paykel appliances in micro-kitchens, subdividing their 3-bedroom apartments into 250 sq. ft. bachelors at $3,000/month, or maybe fire most of their maintenance staff and force us to take our recycling down to P1 like I did in all the condo buildings I lived in.
All units will be redesigned to include a winding hallway that accounts for half the unit's square footage.

Back