Toronto Manulife Centre Podium and Streetscape Renewal | 9.75m | 2s | Manulife Real Estate | MdeAS Architects

This feels like the opposite of building a 'modern' glass condo tower on top of a heritage structure.

I can see why virtually every single rendering showed us how it will look at night.

I agree - I am happy about the new offerings to come and updating what that space will be able to be used for - but it looks completely mismatched from the outside.

If they'd just went with a clear glass and darker frame it would look a lot better.

Heck, even the much maligned grey glass we see plastered all over the city would've been a better choice. But yet Manulife found a way to choose the worst possible option.

Starting to look like an airport terminal that somehow got attached to a brutalist monstrosity. Kind of surreal, but in a nightmare sort of way. BUT I will wait for it to be completed before I pass judgement, or more gas.

Manulife confirmed today that Timothy's will be closing at the end of the month, to be replaced with a "new coffee concept" :rolleyes: in early 2019. And the shoe repair store will also be closing at the end of the month but it will reopen in a year.

I just don’t like how the new podium seems to have no relation to the tower above. I think they tried too hard to make the retail prominent and lost too many of the characteristics of the original components in the process. The new portion should work in harmony w the older part not against it.

Back