Toronto Malibu Harbourfront Condo | ?m | 32s | Malibu Investments | P + S / IBI

We'd all be happy if the discussion that Blogger#3 is trying to have were to happen in the Real Estate section. P&C threads are mostly for dealing with architecture, engineering, construction, urban planning issues surrounding the development.

Yes, if I recall that's the very first comment I made and I've repeated it several times now...

Yes, if I recall that's the very first comment I made and I've repeated it several times now...

Regarding the statue - I see your point to a certain degree but if all the developers in this area could create similar pieices of art work we'd really enforce the notion that this is the Fort York neighbourhood ... I don't see the problem with that. Yes it wold be nice to have more of these in parks as well but at the same time the base of many of these condo buildings is more prominent and again we can have both.

Regarding the clash with the supposedly "modern" theme of the development I can't really see where you're going with that ... are you sure you didn't mean "Malibu" theme jk : - )

Anyway, how is the art work not modern? Because it represents the past? Can the two not co-exist together, isn't that what we strive to achieve on this forum / in this city. Do we not consider streets that integrate both the new and the old together to exemplify the best the city can offer?

Regarding finding the statue offensive ... well if such thing is the case I'll have to respect that opinion as feelings are feelings and unfortunately can't be controlled (at least humans seem to have that problem :) ). But if such were the case wouldn't you have hesitated to move into the "Fort York" neighborhood in the first place?

Regarding the statue - I see your point to a certain degree but if all the developers in this area could create similar pieices of art work we'd really enforce the notion that this is the Fort York neighbourhood ... I don't see the problem with that. Yes it wold be nice to have more of these in parks as well but at the same time the base of many of these condo buildings is more prominent and again we can have both.

Regarding the clash with the supposedly "modern" theme of the development I can't really see where you're going with that ... are you sure you didn't mean "Malibu" theme jk : - )

Anyway, how is the art work not modern? Because it represents the past? Can the two not co-exist together, isn't that what we strive to achieve on this forum / in this city. Do we not consider streets that integrate both the new and the old together to exemplify the best the city can offer?

Regarding finding the statue offensive ... well if such thing is the case I'll have to respect that opinion as feelings are feelings and unfortunately can't be controlled (at least humans seem to have that problem :) ). But if such were the case wouldn't you have hesitated to move into the "Fort York" neighborhood in the first place?

Grey comin' correct in post #285.

I think Coupland's 'playful' statues are designed to remind us of the idiocy of war. Perhaps I am misreading them, but I still think they are far more powerful than some realistic depiction of a 'wounded soldier' or some such nonsense, designed to get conservatives who pass all hot and prurient.

... I can see how some owners maybe upset with (a) it doesn't jive well with the Malibu / modern condo theme and (b) negative connotations created by a 'fallen soldier' statue at your condo's main door

But, lest we forget, a lot of Toronto's historical community was upset at the, er, negative "connotations" created by slick high-rise condos like Malibu built practically at Old Fort York's front door.

So, tit for tat.

3188769811_f727952b95_b.jpg

3188770963_e7cb097b78_b.jpg

3189612794_e8931b5059_b.jpg

So the building is owned by Malibu Investments now?

Wasn't this project by one of the larger, mainstream condo builders before? I am curious how this all unfolded.

I think Malibu condos has always been planned and developed by Malibu Investments since day one (hence the condo's name) ... the property was previously owned by Witttington Properties (parent company of Loblaws) as with most land within the new Fort York neighbourhood including lands to the north, LTD, WHC 1+2, Waterpark City ... etc

from today's Star, part of an article on public artwork....

MALIBU

In November, Malibu Investments, the developer of the Malibu condominium, unveiled a Monument to the War of 1812, dreamed up by Vancouver best-selling author Douglas Coupland.

The commitment for public art on the Malibu site was secured about 15 years ago. It remained attached to the site, even though the property changed hands more than once, according to Jane Perdue, public art co-ordinator for the City of Toronto.

This left Rony Hirsch, president of Malibu Investments, obliged to provide an artwork for the citizens of Toronto.

The new statuary, in front of the Malibu condominium at Bathurst St. and Lake Shore Blvd. W., is comprised of a pair of giant toy soldiers. The good guy, a gold British soldier (Newfoundland regiment), stands victorious above a toppled silver soldier – the bad guy, one of the American infantrymen who attacked Fort York, on April 27, 1813. History tells us the American invaders were beaten back by the British force.

The launch inspired Deputy Mayor Joe Pantalone to comment, "We wouldn't be standing here today as Canadians. We would all be Americans, if the Americans had won the War of 1812."

Coupland sees his work as a reminder of the War of 1812 where the Americans tried to take Canada and lost.

"There are people out there trying to make it look like the Americans won," he said. "History is fluid. If we aren't vigilant, it is re-written."

Coupland had several celebrity supporters who were thrilled with his efforts. There was high-fiving, hugs and kisses all around, from the likes of essayist and novelist John Raulston Saul, broadcaster Noah Richler and former governor general Adrienne Clarkson, who declared the monument "wonderful, wonderful."

Noah Richler found the toy soldier allusion "playful."

When asked the price tag, Hirsch replied the new monument "cost not a couple of hundred thousand dollars, but several hundred thousand."

Pics taken May 6, 2016

GxqptRt.jpg

Malibu Harbourfront Condo, LTD Condos, Yards at Fort York
Bazwi4g.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the photos on these three side-by-side buildings @Red Mars! Smart thinking that these are "never before seen" views, and that they won't be around all that long!

Back