Mississauga M1 & M2 at M City | 197.81m | 60s | Rogers Real Estate | Core Architects

I wouldn't say a majority travel to Toronto, there is actually a huge amount of employment in Mississauga. I'd have to check census data to confirm that though.

The thing is that even if a majority of Mississaugans don't work in Toronto, the two job markets *are* combined. Someone in Toronto will likely be willing to apply for a job in Mississauga and vice-versa. It's why a lot of people balk at calling it a separate city. They are a single "marketplace", regardless of the municipal boundary.

1587567664484.png

Mississauga is awkward in that it doesn't really have a traditional city centre (aside from Port Credit), and that the majority of its commuters travel to Toronto. I am excited for what's going on at Square One area, but I am still uncertain how the new developments will be able to create an urban centre. The blocks are still too big, the streets too wide, and overall too auto-oriented.

I have been thinking recently that Mississauga should actually play up the Cooksville area more. Cooksville has (mostly) a more traditional street grid and a GO Station (plus potential Dundas BRT in the future). It actually sorta resembles some of the typical "hollowed out" downtown areas of many North American cities. If more development took place in Cooksville to redevelop those parking lots, and intensify some of that 1-2 storey commercial buildings, you could end up with a second more urban downtown area that contrasts against the high-rise built-form of MCC/SQ1.

It's true that the big blocks and wide roads do not help with the traditional urban feeling. However, the plus side is that there is a lot of space to work with. The wide roads can easily be converted into more surface-level rapid transit if necessary in the future.

The HuLRT, improved GO station, and eventual Dundas BRT are going to make Cooksville development a much more attractive case. It'll eventually happen as MCC continues to grow out and runs out of space.

It's true that the big blocks and wide roads do not help with the traditional urban feeling. However, the plus side is that there is a lot of space to work with. The wide roads can easily be converted into more surface-level rapid transit if necessary in the future.

The HuLRT, improved GO station, and eventual Dundas BRT are going to make Cooksville development a much more attractive case. It'll eventually happen as MCC continues to grow out and runs out of space.
It would certainly make for an urban corridor. For reference, measured along Hurontario, it is 4.8km from Rathburn to the QEW. Along Yonge Street in Toronto, it is 4.7km from Summerhill to the Lake.

Mississauga if developed out, could potentially really feel like its own city.

I always love this part. Looks so skimpy and insignificant and yet it won't be long before it impacts in a large way.

I noticed that there has been no construction activity this week (at least above ground). I hope they have not had an exposure to the virus and need to make precautions.

I went by the site today and indeed there was no activity other than a security guard patrolling the site :(

Edit: According to the planner, they are most likely waiting on the delivery of construction supplies and materials. He spoke with Rogers last week and all is proceeding as scheduled.

Last edited:
I went by the site today and indeed there was no activity other than a security guard patrolling the site :(

Edit: According to the planner, they are most likely waiting on the delivery of construction supplies and materials. He spoke with Rogers last week and all is proceeding as scheduled.

After 10 days of no activity, they are partially back at work today (2/4 cranes are operating).

Back