Toronto Luna at Concord CityPlace | 125.88m | 38s | Concord Adex | Core Architects

Taken this afternoon (more pics of Cityplace West in the Montage thread):

img412312.jpg

Its so amusing how people take pictures on a cloudy/overcast day and then title it "Cityplace looks so depressing"...

I would guess that the entire GTA looking depressing on a grey day. :D

Its so amusing how people take pictures on a cloudy/overcast day and then title it "Cityplace looks so depressing"...

I would guess that the entire GTA looking depressing on a grey day. :D

Not to mention unfinished buildings before hundreds of people move in, the park is done, and retail is opened.

The place was boring and homogenous and designed for cars. A vertical Vaughan. I saw more cars driving in and out than people walking on a beautiful day.

I don't see the potential here. I am sure the park will be interesting, but I can easily see it having a sense of being dangerous, as it is so isolated being stuck next to the Gardiner. There's no reason for foot traffic down here, besides for those who live in the buildings.

The areas summoned off for retail are only designed for large stores, resulting in a lack of diversity that smaller storefronts would offer. Right now there is room for a massive Sobey's and a couple of banks. Before I get a parade of " it would just be a Rabba, cleaners, Subway/Quiznos, repeat" comments, there could have been great spaces for restaurants and patios around here, or perhaps Concord and the city could have worked with Artscape for some added diversity.

I was disappointed.

The place was boring and homogenous and designed for cars. A vertical Vaughan. I saw more cars driving in and out than people walking on a beautiful day.

I don't see the potential here. I am sure the park will be interesting, but I can easily see it having a sense of being dangerous, as it is so isolated being stuck next to the Gardiner. There's no reason for foot traffic down here, besides for those who live in the buildings.

The areas summoned off for retail are only designed for large stores, resulting in a lack of diversity that smaller storefronts would offer. Right now there is room for a massive Sobey's and a couple of banks. Before I get a parade of " it would just be a Rabba, cleaners, Subway/Quiznos, repeat" comments, there could have been great spaces for restaurants and patios around here, or perhaps Concord and the city could have worked with Artscape for some added diversity.

I was disappointed.

I'm not saying its the coolest place to be. But at least wait till construction is over, landscaping is done, the park is ready, pedestrian bridge built and the Sobeys actually open.

By taking a picture on an overcast day when construction is ongoing and cranes are still up...is not giving CP a fair chance.

And no, I am not defending it because I own a suite there. I am very concerned about how CP will turn out as well...more so than you...trust me.

I was disappointed.

To argue that you were disappointed is a natural response to one being discontented with ones' surroundings. Stating that you 'don't see the potential' however, seems far too closed-minded since it immediately disallows the possibility of improvement.

There's only one car on the street in this shot - how will the neighbourhood survive? There's no potential here:

I fail to see why the absence of cars is seen as a sign of decline. The roads in City Place are primarily local roads at present (at least until Bremner Blvd is joined to Bathurst/Fort York Blvd) so it would be surprising to see many cars and what time was the photo taken.

I am not a great fan of City Place but if you think it has lack of potential you need a better reason than lack of cars.!

I fail to see why the absence of cars is seen as a sign of decline. The roads in City Place are primarily local roads at present (at least until Bremner Blvd is joined to Bathurst/Fort York Blvd) so it would be surprising to see many cars and what time was the photo taken.

I am not a great fan of City Place but if you think it has lack of potential you need a better reason than lack of cars.!

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic, there. Also, that picture was of Maple Leaf Square.

All I ever seem to read about Cityplace always seems to have the same tired cliches.
It's going to be nicer when it's finished.
Just wait till the next whatever project is completed. It will be better then.
Just wait till Sobeys is open. It will be better then.
Just wait till the park is finished. It will be better then.
This area has so much potential.

It HAD potential.

It's ironic.
So many indvidual lovely buildings and yet such an incredibly depressing streetscape.
If you live here, what you have around you, is what you got.. now.

This is the closest thing you are going to get to a vertical suburbia.
This is where you move to the city when you don't live in the city and don't understand the city. There is a vague subconscious familiarity about the area for you.
From here, you learn your lesson, and then move elsewhere in the city ..or back to the suburbs.

I know I'm probably pissing off stubborn individuals who are determined to defend this area and claim it's just the way they like it. Good for them. It's their home, their investment, their lifestyle.
I don't like it, and I'm pissed off that this city allowed this potentially wonderful opportunity to be squandered so badly.

All I ever seem to read about Cityplace always seems to have the same tired cliches.
It's going to be nicer when it's finished.
Just wait till the next whatever project is completed. It will be better then.
Just wait till Sobeys is open. It will be better then.
Just wait till the park is finished. It will be better then.
This area has so much potential.

It HAD potential.

It's ironic.
So many indvidual lovely buildings and yet such an incredibly depressing streetscape.
If you live here, what you have around you, is what you got.. now.

This is the closest thing you are going to get to a vertical suburbia.
This is where you move to the city when you don't live in the city and don't understand the city. There is a vague subconscious familiarity about the area for you.
From here, you learn your lesson, and then move elsewhere in the city ..or back to the suburbs.

I know I'm probably pissing off stubborn individuals who are determined to defend this area and claim it's just the way they like it. Good for them. It's their home, their investment, their lifestyle.
I don't like it, and I'm pissed off that this city allowed this potentially wonderful opportunity to be squandered so badly.

CityPlace is an active construction site. Seriously, what do you expect from it at the moment?

All the 'tired cliches' are right. Wait for it to be completed, then criticize it. All of your comments are unjustified because the cliches are right. Its not finished yet.

The streetscape will be better once construction is complete. (I don't know any constructions sites that create the streetscape that you are thinking of)

Yes, if you live here.. what you have around is what you have now. But in a few years there will be much more. It just hasn't been built yet.

If in a few years CityPlace is still what you see today, I will gladly concede and say you are right. But I will wait for it to be completed before judging it.

Back