Toronto Luna at Concord CityPlace | 125.88m | 38s | Concord Adex | Core Architects

Luna Vista caught my attention today out on my bike. As a big fan of glass towers (obviously) this would have to be my favourite of the CityPlace bunch. And on closer inspection, individually they're not all really terrible towers... but the way they've been arranged (and fail to compliment each other) in this planned community is an absolute aesthetic mess. It's tragic, really.

While I wouldn't go as far as to call it a 'mess,' I would agree that it is uninspired. Even different cladding would have helped.

I agree with others here. The north south view up Spadina isn't bad, the buildings forming a nice gateway, but the western view of the skyline is fairly banal compared to how it used to look. I understand that progress is inevitable but I just wish that the new view was better than the older one. It's definitely bigger though!

This is the best update of Luna and Cityplace yet! I agree that the placemaking could have been better but the scale of this development is breathtaking. Imagine when Parade is built and the other sites are potentially being prepped for even more development. TO is by far one of the most dynamic cities development-wise in the world.

I think it can be summarized simply as follows:
If the majority of towers at cityplace were located on standalone sites we'd probably all consider them "above average" ... those who are glass lovers on this site (you know who you are :) ) might consider them "very food".
But once you place 10+ of these "above average" towers together that are very very similar you achieve something very monotone in nature. That's the crux of the problem at CityPlace. Well, one of the problems ;)

But I can't stress this point enough, almost all the towers (excluding the podiums) are nice and I might even call some sexy . If you've seen the curves on HV1 and 2 you'll know what I mean.

Yep. Montage is an absolutely stunning tower from any angle. Had it been on it's own, it would have been very highly praised by all the readers here.

Luna & Montage Destroy all!!!!!!!!

Most Wicked Towers!! - I don't care what anyone says...........

3358000336_59a58effab_b.jpg

from detsang at www.flickr.com

DSCN4419.jpg

casaguy photo - posted above

Glass lover ;)

I'm one too though (in moderation) and I completely agree that those two towers are amazing :p

The glass has changed from phase to phase, albeit, not by much. I suspect that in certain lighting, CityPlace will look drab and monotonous, while in other lighting, it may look very clean and sharp.

I think a big lush green park in the middle of the whole thing might give the towers some more contrast.

Anyone know what the THCH buildings will be clad in?

but it looks like the direction for the design will be a departure from the other Cityplace structures.

very cryptic, Mike....:p

stunning shot Redroom (as always) ... many thanks

Back