Toronto Lower Simcoe Ramp | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto

True. If only there were some way of reaching the lake near to Church street. Oh wait...

View attachment 106533

Not saying there aren't ways, but the rail corridor and the Gardiner are both physical and psycological barriers to the waterfront. Any additional efforts to make it more porous is better, improving the public realm.

Anyway, all of this is getting away from the Simcoe Ramp.

The rail corridor and the Gardiner are both physical and psycological barriers to the waterfront...

I know this has been the standard thinking, that all these things are 'psychological barriers' to the lake. But let me just put this out there... not everyone is trying to get to the lake. The lake isn't Toronto's greatest feature/attraction. In fact if I was down by the lake I'd be more interested in getting somewhere else in Toronto. The lake isn't the Grand Canyon or the Aurora Borealis. It's just water. So maybe not every road needs to have unimpeded access to the lake. I know that goes against the common response.

True. If only there were some way of reaching the lake near to Church street. Oh wait...
Doesn't your image clearly show there's a large gap in connecting streets, roughly near Church?

Seems like a no-brainer to protect for a future connection, when the building in the way is revisited, whenever that may be.

Last edited:
You think the masterplan for the transportation department is to stop them at the lake?
My understanding was that all the streets were in fact to continue into the lake and I will be outraged if they do not.

Doesn't your image clearly show there's a large cap in connecting streets, roughly near Church?

Seems like a no-brainer to protect for a future connection, when the building in the way is revisited, whenever that may be.

Looks like it would be extremely expensive...for not much benefit.

Back on topic...

IMG_9948.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9948.JPG
    IMG_9948.JPG
    263.5 KB · Views: 341
I know this has been the standard thinking, that all these things are 'psychological barriers' to the lake. But let me just put this out there... not everyone is trying to get to the lake. The lake isn't Toronto's greatest feature/attraction. In fact if I was down by the lake I'd be more interested in getting somewhere else in Toronto. The lake isn't the Grand Canyon or the Aurora Borealis. It's just water. So maybe not every road needs to have unimpeded access to the lake. I know that goes against the common response.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but it's one that's very clearly not shared by literally hundreds of thousands of people every year, a good portion of which are tourists.

I want my waterfront accessible to everyone, and the Gardiner and Lake Shore are both unabashed blights on our city. In my view, any way to chip away at that unfortunate reality should be at the very least considered.

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, but it's one that's very clearly not shared by literally hundreds of thousands of people every year, a good portion of which are tourists.

I want my waterfront accessible to everyone, and the Gardiner and Lake Shore are both unabashed blights on our city. In my view, any way to chip away at that unfortunate reality should be at the very least considered.
sure....but at Church the things that are largely preventing a link to the lake (and I happen to think that Jarvis and Yonge are close enough that this is not a priority) are a social housing complex and a rail corridor.

Back