Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Last edited:
IMG_6834.jpeg

This guy getting dunked on today reminded me of how far folks would/wouldn’t walk to transit- then something else hit me. Attractions or community. To solve the Villiers traffic woes. We get rid of Rebel/Cabana. So what do we replace it with?View attachment 588939
This is so funny and typical! Smart people know what traffic conditions are like and plan accordingly. And am I the only one that finds everything about his page pandering and embarrassing?

This is so funny and typical! Smart people know what traffic conditions are like and plan accordingly. And am I the only one that finds everything about his page pandering and embarrassing?
I didn’t go so deep beyond that he’s a CP24 anchor? Which would kind of explain why he was heading to Queen & John. No idea if he was supposed to be on TV that night, or if CP24 stopped doing traffic reports. But it is like- why do people who leave the city insist on congratulating themselves on their apparent wisdom? Leaves the city to what, avoid traffic? Just to become city traffic because you moved further from where things are? Brilliant planning dude.

So true! And it reminds me of the fact that if you have a facility that people want to get to they will skydive, waterski and parachute there!

So true! And it reminds me of the fact that if you have a facility that people want to get to they will skydive, waterski and parachute there!
Rebel nightclub has capacity for 3,163 patrons indoors and 2,510 outside (I imagine that’s Cabana) and had tried to get clearance for a facility that would do 15,000. Now, apart from summer weekends- all their traffic would be late night- which we’ve seen how that looks.

If waterfront TO were somehow able to wrest that and the driving range away- what would we want to do with that? A less intensive attraction? Residences? Facilities? I think I saw a PC MPP this week espouse an idea for a waterfront play park. An idea that Ontario has never ever done, and would certainly not replace with a spa, I’m sure

Rebel nightclub has capacity for 3,163 patrons indoors and 2,510 outside (I imagine that’s Cabana) and had tried to get clearance for a facility that would do 15,000. Now, apart from summer weekends- all their traffic would be late night- which we’ve seen how that looks.

If waterfront TO were somehow able to wrest that and the driving range away- what would we want to do with that? A less intensive attraction? Residences? Facilities? I think I saw a PC MPP this week espouse an idea for a waterfront play park. An idea that Ontario has never ever done, and would certainly not replace with a spa, I’m sure
Like while I think there can be other uses for the space there, Toronto sucks at nightlife. If Rebel goes, there's no remaining large nightlife spaces left in Toronto (also worth noting Rebel is used for a lot of concerts). As an example of how bad our nightlife is, we have less gay clubs than Honolulu (population 343K) does, even though a sizable amount of Canada's gay population lives here, because they have one, and we don't have any. The last one we had was killed for a condo. It's being replaced by a NEO Coffee Bar. I don't think I'm gonna be going to dance with boys on a Friday night there. Like I'm not personally a fan of Rebel as is, but if it was better connected to transit, it would be worth keeping there IMO. Torontonians love to give Ottawa shit for being no fun, while constantly killing every last bit of nightlife we have, so are we any better? Any good city needs a nightlife element and we are increasingly failing at this.

That said, Rebel trying to become the world's largest nightclub was extremely silly.

Last edited:
Toronto sucks at nightlife. If Rebel goes, there's no remaining large nightlife spaces left in Toronto (also worth noting Rebel is used for a lot of concerts).
That depends what scene we're talking about. The underground electronic scene is doing fine right now and that crowd generally wants nothing to do with the likes of Rebel. Not just because the music is cheesy EDM most of the time, but as clubbers grow older, they tend to prefer small/medium size clubs. The options may not be as plentiful as yesteryear, but there are still lots of great parties to choose from every weekend and if I didn't prefer to be in bed by 11 most nights, I would be out as much as I used to be.

Back