Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

The TTC is not the most accurate source of information, but they think that the Ship Channel Bridge will be out for another month.

202 Cherry Beach–Temporary route change due to Cherry Street bridge work​

Effective May 12, 2024 - 07:00 AM to June 22, 2024 - 07:00 AM

202 Cherry Beach will divert both ways, via south on Cherry Street, east on Commissioners Street, north on Carlaw Avenue, west on Lake Shore Boulevard and north on Cherry Street, to regular route.

Pedestrians and vehicles will not be allowed across the bridge.

Stops not served; Cherry Street, between Commissioners Street and Cherry Beach.
PortsToronto do not seem to have a reopenig date but their website says:
The Ship Channel Bridge initially sustained hardware damage on April 22. Follow-up inspection on initial repairs confirmed that the main shaft of the bridge is bent, which has the potential to cause a full failure of the lifting mechanism. This mechanism is an original, 92-year old part of the bridge and is scheduled to be replaced and/or rehabilitated as part of the final stage of an ongoing rehabilitation project led by PortsToronto and the City of Toronto, which has been underway since March 2022.

Last edited:
PortsToronto told me that repairs are ongoing...

Ship Channel Bridge – Update May 13​

Toronto (May 13, 2024) – Structural analysis on the damaged main shaft and lifting mechanism of the Ship Channel Bridge is complete. Sourcing of supplies and parts for the repair has begun, and it is expected that repair work will occur over the course of several weeks. During this work, the bridge will remain in the upright position for safety reasons. We will continue to provide updates on the repair as details become available.

During this time, Cherry Street will remain closed for vehicular and pedestrian traffic south of Polson Street. Members of the public and all Port users can still use Unwin Avenue (base of Leslie Street) to access the Port and Cherry Beach.

Shots of a major playground installation being constructed as well as a shot taken from the north side of Commissioners bridge. Perhaps these kayakers did some portaging ?

20240520_144645(0).jpg

20240520_151031.jpg

VideoCapture_20240520-171710 (1).jpg

That riverdale park vantage point seems to be very popular to take in views of downtown. They should reno that park to make it a real nice spot to take in the views, I don't believe there are to many spots like this in town to really take in the view for free. A tall lookout or some kind of walkway that extends outword would be amazing.
You’d think. Yes to RENO.. But at least clean up all those dirt patches in park every single summer-they can start there. I also saw some sort of rendering of a lookout deck at Riverdale Park. Not sure what that was❓

He was always a great UT contributor but BlogTO does suffer from poor (or zero?) editorial control or fact-checking and, as they hope to make $$, they do tend to have eye-catching and not totally accurate headlines.
BlogTO is owned by M Znaimer & ZoomerMedia. Parochial, conservative, low taxes over 60 +crowd mouthpiece. BTO is cool until their political agenda comes roaring thru~ car centric, taxes, Doug Ford fans.

BlogTO is owned by M Znaimer & ZoomerMedia. Parochial, conservative, low taxes over 60 +crowd mouthpiece. BTO is cool until their political agenda comes roaring thru~ car centric, taxes, Doug Ford fans.
Well. yes. But, Conservatives can still be expected to get their facts right. Their interpretation of them may differ from mine (and maybe yours) but BlogTO has a poor record for getting facts right .....

That explains why the formerly decent Classical music station, 96.3, has gone to shit in recent years.

Where does BTO's hate on for Loblaws come from? I mean I 100% agree with it, but it's absolutely ridiculous how strong and biased it is. No other news/entertainment site goes after Loblaws like they do. The Westons and Znaimers have it out for each other?

Where does BTO's hate on for Loblaws come from? I mean I 100% agree with it, but it's absolutely ridiculous how strong and biased it is. No other news/entertainment site goes after Loblaws like they do. The Westons and Znaimers have it out for each other?
These are just a guesses, mostly because I don't read BlahTO much and thus haven't noticed them being harder than other outlets. With their particular way of riling up readership for clicks, there are benefits from having a villain, for example they write a headline like "Loblaws did X and Toronto is furious" and it gets a lot of traction. Following from that, I'd assume they have metrics on what kinds of stories do well, what kind of tone drives people to read, share or otherwise engage with content and from that they might have seen some benefit to stories that are particularly hard on Loblaws.

Or it could be none of those things and just someone who works for them and lives close to a Loblaws, is mad at being ripped off. As a result, they use the power they have as a writer or editor to inject view at their stage of content creation.

Back