Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Maybe a "Fantasy Island" thread that has a bridge on the east end, a tunnel on the west, no airport, fourteen electric ferries zipping to different points on both sides of the harbour, a cone of silence covering Algonquin Island so they don't have to hear the tourists, and a ferris wheel to get Doug Ford to pay for it all?

De Plane! De Plane!

I still semi-seriously suggest a gondola line to the Islands. If La Paz can turn it into a mass transit option, so can we.

AoD

On the payroll for Conklin Amusements now, Alvin? LOL

I can see the campaign now, bring back The Alpine Way! But with spur lines to Ontario Place and the Islands!

1719423541317.png

Credit: The Toronto Star

1719423608494.png

Credit: Great America Parks.com

Michael of course will want a branch to Sudbury; and @Urban Sky will once again have to say ' but that makes no economic sense' LOL

I'd say a bridge over the Eastern Gap is possible, despite the many reasons people say it isn't. But, I think it would mostly be for cyclists. The Western Gap will likely have a tunnel to Hanlans should YTZ ever close (which I'd give it a 50% chance of doing). But we'd still need the ferries to take the bulk of the people to the central "Centre" island(s) in any sceneraio.

Last edited:
I still semi-seriously suggest a gondola line to the Islands. If La Paz can turn it into a mass transit option, so can we.

AoD

All joking aside, a tunnel is the best option.

If a tunnel were to be built to the Islands, you could theoretically extend the Yonge line down to Centre Island as part of a branch line.

No.. I was not smoking crack when I came up with that idea.

Last edited:
I'd say a bridge over the Eastern Gap is possible, despite the many reasons people say it isn't. But, I think it would mostly be for cyclists...

Indeed. We don't seem to have an aversion to the cost of elevators at both ends of a bridge anymore as seen over various GO corridors. The 40m height requirement doesn't seem as insurmountable today as it did 20 years ago.

I still think it would be a great idea to build a heritage streetcar line that travels from one end of the islands to the other, whether there's a fixed link built in the future or not. Not only would it be a quaint and cute tourist attraction in itself, but it would also be very useful for people to travel what really are rather far walking distances currently.

I still think it would be a great idea to build a heritage streetcar line that travels from one end of the islands to the other, whether there's a fixed link built in the future or not. Not only would it be a quaint and cute tourist attraction in itself, but it would also be very useful for people to travel what really are rather far walking distances currently.
You do know that you live in a City that cannot build 'real' streetcar lines - even those that are HIGH PRIORITY - like the QQE line.

Howdy! So if Kingston can create a new crossing connecting two central areas, why can’t we?!

IMG_4434.jpeg

Howdy! So if Kingston can create a new crossing connecting two central areas, why can’t we?!

That's literally a boat.

Back