Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

So is the bridge across the old Cherry Street now closed?
If not already, then imminently. They already blocked off the Martin Goodman Trail east of new Cherry Street to cyclists. Motorists are now allowed down the north bridge, so there is no reason to travel across the lift bridge.

There are lots of roads in new developments that have still not been transferred to the City but which are open - they have signage "Unassumed Road, use at your own risk".

Council approved all the changes with Cherry etc on November 8 so I am not sure what other legal stuff is needed.

See: https://secure.toronto.ca/council/agenda-item.do?item=2023.IE7.5
I'm guessing there was a site visit to make sure all the right boxes were checked off, and some deficiencies were found. I was watching them paint the bike lane and crosswalk at 4:30 pm, so who knows what else was missed.

20240124_163748-01.jpeg

So is the bridge across the old Cherry Street now closed?
Google Traffic still showing cars crossing it and nothing on the new one.

Also still shows Commish closed.

Come on UrbanToronto we need more people driving over these bridges and roads to change the Google Traffic Map

Last edited:
Skateboarders are going to rail-slide on that so hard.
Probably but these look so sturdy that it may not matter!
Also the handrails on the bridges are wood which is a classy touch.

One more observation: being able to walk along Cherry from Distillery to the Portlands has made the Canary District and Corktown feel ‘in the middle’ as opposed to on the edge like it did before.

Last edited:
One more observation: being able to walk along Cherry from Distillery to the Portlands has made the Canary District and Corktown feel ‘in the middle’ as opposed to on the edge like it did before.
It'll be even better once they extend the streetcar network into the Port Lands over that new (and currently unused) bridge!

Back