Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Some progress on the eastern end of the rebuilt Commissioners St.
PXL_20231111_192047563.jpg

Polson Peak? Villiars Vista?
I know it's just moving overburden from pile A to pile B. But a nice overview of the area would be cool.
PXL_20231111_192111192.jpg

PXL_20231111_192240663.jpg

I would bet that the applications are ready to be submitted and will be approved in record time! There is also the Basin Media proposal that is ready and approved. This is an extremely high profile project and like the West Don Lands and East Bayfront will see construction as soon as the infrastructure is done.

Last edited:
Since there are no applications (or even any renderings) it will not be for several years.
With so much of the project being built natural ecosystems, would they have to wait a little while before being able to do accurate environmental assessments? Kinda like- “well we made a bird habitat, and it turns out this specific species on the edge of extinction returned so maybe the 80 storey residential tower we’ve completed 5 storeys on might be a problem”

They have now started to remove the rail lines from the median of Lake Shore Blvd east of Carlaw and have started excavating on Villiers Street near the Don Roadway - Villiers is supposed to be closed in the next few weeks - as soon as Commissioners and New Cherry are opened. The usual pre-winter rush to move onward!

I'm curious how much of a short cut a reopened commissioners is going to be over the construction mess of lake shore...

I do like that they are using updated street lighting.
The City (and Toronto Hydro) are VERY SLOWLY moving to LED streetlights - this is generally installed when a street is rebuilt - e.g Wellington.

From: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-228414.pdf from 2002.

Climate Capital Investments: Street Lighting

City Council confirm its support in principal for proceeding with City-wide LED street and expressway light conversion, including the related enabling infrastructureinvestments.5. City Council request the General Manager, Transportation Services, in consultation with the Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer, and in consultation with Toronto Hydro, develop implementation options for the City-wide LED street and expressway light conversion including applicable budget, and report back with a recommendation by the end of the second quarter of 2023.

City Council authorize the City Solicitor to sign an amendment to the existing retainer agreement with Stikeman Elliott LLP (Purchase Order No. 6042019) for legal advice and support to negotiate amendments that may be necessary to the 2006 Street and Expressway Lighting Service Agreement between the City and Toronto Hydro Energy Services Inc. for LED conversion and other related matters under this agreement ,increasing the current upset value of the retainer by $475,000 so that it increases from a total $305,000 (excluding HST) to $780,000 (excluding HST), for a term that expires when the services are completed.

I do not think the Report back has happened yet, it may appear during budget discussions.

Last edited:

Back