Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

There is a supplementary Report coming to Executive this week. It now looks like Ports Toronto are not on side as much - but I cannot see how anyone can get Metrolinx to allow a connection to the main line. The Report says:

PortsToronto recently responded by letter dated April 11, 2022 stating that while there had been "significant progress" made on the matters raised in its 2020 letter, it disagreed with the statement that "a consensus has emerged on the removal of the Harbour Lead Line and Keating Rail Yard Page 6 of 6 Harbour Lead Line", noting that further discussions would be required in order for PortsToronto to provide written notice that it no longer required the Harbour Lead Line. In stating its position as set out above, PortsToronto is relying on its purported rights under a 2012 Siding and Cost Sharing Agreement it entered into with TPLC/CreateTO. The City and CreateTO disagree with PortsToronto and will continue discussions with them. The confidential attachment contains legal advice on these issues.

I can see legal complications! https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2022/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-225283.pdf

Just go in, rip it up and say, what are you going to do about it?

AoD

It also helps that they can likely declare a plausible denial "Ooops!" on this.

I noticed today that they appear to be extending Polson Street east of Cherry Street. Will it go east to an extended Don Roadway.?
Question answered: I saw this map on the latest WT mailing about this project:

1651860320092.png

Upcoming Work

Road resurfacing on Lake Shore Boulevard East, east of Cherry Street and from the West Side of the Lake Shore Bridge to Saulter Street (See Map Below): May 9 – May 13, 2022

Starting May 9, 2022, Lake Shore Boulevard East will be resurfaced in two locations: the area east of Cherry Street where eastbound traffic shifts to the north side of the road (formerly westbound lanes), and between the west side of the Lake Shore Bridge and Saulter Street. Lake Shore Boulevard will remain open.
17ade045-c6e2-211c-c5f7-bf92a7b33f05.png
Above: A map showing the areas of Lake Shore Boulevard East that will be resurfaced.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
  • Starting May 9, Lake Shore Boulevard East will be reduced to one lane eastbound and one lane westbound between the west side of the Lake Shore Bridge and Saulter Street.
  • Work will happen overnight to reduce traffic impact.
  • Crews will resurface one lane at a time, with the remaining lanes open for both eastbound and westbound traffic.
  • Lane diversions will be marked with traffic cones, flagpersons, and a paid duty officer.
5cc5eaf8-f8ec-4efc-a941-52270eac33c7.png
Intermittent Crossing of the Martin Goodman Trail: May 9 – November 2022

Trucks will be transporting material into the construction site west of Cherry Street, at 369 Lake Shore Boulevard. Trucks will need to cross the Martin Goodman Trail to access the site. Signs and flagpersons controlling automated arms will direct east-west pedestrian and cyclist traffic. Whenever it is safe, priority will be given to pedestrians and cyclists. As the work progresses, the path will be cleaned and patch-paved for safety.
93499138-b8b9-45e2-a7cc-ff6c81083398.png
Above: This map shows the location of the trucks crossing the Martin Goodman Trail, as well as the locations of signs and flagpersons.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
  • Signs are installed on the trail to alert cyclists and pedestrians to possible truck crossing.
  • Signs will also be installed to ensure truck operators are aware that they must yield to cyclists and pedestrians.
  • A flagperson controlling an automatic barrier will control traffic at these locations, giving priority to pedestrians and cyclists when possible.
  • The trail will be cleaned continuously.
5cc5eaf8-f8ec-4efc-a941-52270eac33c7.png
Lane shifts on Cherry Street at Commissioners Street: Starting the week of May 9, 2022

All northbound and southbound traffic on Cherry Street at Commissioners Street will be shifted to the west side of the street, with one lane remaining open in each direction. This is to allow crews to install utilities and prepare for the realignment of Cherry Street and the reopening of Commissioners Street.
18852b1d-f655-e2f5-b01e-ee076c9cde6f.png
Above: A map showing the location of the lane shifts on Cherry Street at Commissioners Street.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
  • Starting just south of Commissioners Street, all traffic on Cherry Street will be shifted to the west side of the road. One lane northbound and one lane southbound will remain open.
  • The Martin Goodman Trail will remain open. The trail crossing of Cherry Street from the east side to the west side at Commissioners Street will be shifted further south. The crossing will be signalized.

Construction Update

78b17b97-3200-5ca9-d6d6-534102d1f1cb.png
Above: A map showing the upcoming work in various areas of the Port Lands. To open a larger version of this map, visit the Port Lands Flood Protection Construction Schedule Webpage
River Valley Excavation
2eb583ed-e6b6-9b0c-f350-00aadfe187dd.png
Above: A map showing what areas of the river valley have been excavated or are currently being excavated. Follow Rocky @TheRockRipper on Twitter for more updates. Rocky’s Profile on Twitter.
Canoe Cove Excavation
55b8832f-c683-26d3-b14d-581b2bec4911.png
955e8c87-9cfc-62bc-f249-3ee1383ab1f2.png
Above Left: An arial photograph showing Polson Slip and the ongoing excavation of Canoe Cove. The Cherry Street South Bridge is also visible, lined by an orange tarp, at the east end of Polson Slip.
Above Right: The same area shown in a conceptual map of the finished park.
3ac9bdad-d31b-02f3-dd45-98e3c621ed43.jpg
Above: Excavation of ‘Canoe Cove’ on the north side of Polson Slip is underway. Once complete, it will be part of Promontory Park South and feature a place to launch small watercraft with little islands to paddle around.
Wetland Finishes
35588cda-750c-f972-8d6b-810826cf1cfc.jpg
6b45df4e-5eb3-5caf-7809-b9367e344e7d.jpg
Above: These trees were installed in the future wetlands that will flank the main river channel. Eventually the base of the trees will be submerged, and the trees will provide habitat for wildlife.
River Valley Excavation
93b2f771-e622-57d3-7172-6c4dcbf7dc70.jpg
Above: Excavation in the river valley is complete. In this photo, you can see a recently excavated section in the foreground. The next step for this section is to complete the installation of the river liner, and then install river finishes.
4a21335f-f920-f3ce-e39d-7ddeb78011e5.jpg
Above: Excavation in progress under the Commissioners Street Bridge. Excavation in this area is now finished.

Construction Update

78b17b97-3200-5ca9-d6d6-534102d1f1cb.png
Above: A map showing the upcoming work in various areas of the Port Lands. To open a larger version of this map, visit the Port Lands Flood Protection Construction Schedule Webpage
River Valley Excavation
2eb583ed-e6b6-9b0c-f350-00aadfe187dd.png
Above: A map showing what areas of the river valley have been excavated or are currently being excavated. Follow Rocky @TheRockRipper on Twitter for more updates. Rocky’s Profile on Twitter.
Canoe Cove Excavation
55b8832f-c683-26d3-b14d-581b2bec4911.png

955e8c87-9cfc-62bc-f249-3ee1383ab1f2.png
Above Left: An arial photograph showing Polson Slip and the ongoing excavation of Canoe Cove. The Cherry Street South Bridge is also visible, lined by an orange tarp, at the east end of Polson Slip.
Above Right: The same area shown in a conceptual map of the finished park.
3ac9bdad-d31b-02f3-dd45-98e3c621ed43.jpg
Above: Excavation of ‘Canoe Cove’ on the north side of Polson Slip is underway. Once complete, it will be part of Promontory Park South and feature a place to launch small watercraft with little islands to paddle around.
Wetland Finishes
35588cda-750c-f972-8d6b-810826cf1cfc.jpg

6b45df4e-5eb3-5caf-7809-b9367e344e7d.jpg
Above: These trees were installed in the future wetlands that will flank the main river channel. Eventually the base of the trees will be submerged, and the trees will provide habitat for wildlife.
River Valley Excavation
93b2f771-e622-57d3-7172-6c4dcbf7dc70.jpg
Above: Excavation in the river valley is complete. In this photo, you can see a recently excavated section in the foreground. The next step for this section is to complete the installation of the river liner, and then install river finishes.
4a21335f-f920-f3ce-e39d-7ddeb78011e5.jpg
Above: Excavation in progress under the Commissioners Street Bridge. Excavation in this area is now finished.
It would be great if someone were to be dressed up as Rocky Radar once the Don flows into the new mouth.

It would be great if someone were to be dressed up as Rocky Radar once the Don flows into the new mouth.
As cool as it will be, the unfortunate thing is I believe the new mouth will be filled from the harbour side before the river side is unplugged. I believe this is to prevent a rush of water over the new riverbed, opposed to a more controlled release.

As cool as it will be, the unfortunate thing is I believe the new mouth will be filled from the harbour side before the river side is unplugged. I believe this is to prevent a rush of water over the new riverbed, opposed to a more controlled release.
Correct. The final 'plug' at the Lake end will be removed first for exactly the reason you state.

Thinking ahead to June when we’ve historically been hit with massive storms, what are the odds some of the excavated areas end up retaining? Would they pump it out?

Thinking ahead to June when we’ve historically been hit with massive storms, what are the odds some of the excavated areas end up retaining? Would they pump it out?
The river is still draining to the lake via the Keating Channel as it always has. I doubt there would be much spillover, unless we have a very unusual storm like 2013.

And lets try this again...........

The Report recommending the removal of the Harbour Lead will again go to Executive Ctte next week:

From the above:

View attachment 396171

View attachment 396172

View attachment 396173
This was at Council today and is returning in July:

Motions (City Council)
1 - Motion to Refer Item moved by Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Final)
That City Council refer the Item to the Director, Waterfront Secretariat for consultation with the Port Working Group and report back to the City Council meeting of July 19, 2022.

All a bit odd as the rails have mostly been removed already and nobody has shown any interest in putting up the $$$ (supposedly $50 million!!!) to restore it and make it fit to have modern rail cars. (And nobody seems to have got Metrolinx to change their plans to cut the section they own - which they need to do for their Don Yard expansion and the Ontario Line work.)​

1 - Motion to Refer Item moved by Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong (Final)
This is not good and I'm worried that there won't be enough time to include the removal as part of the Lake Shore project. I have a question... do you know what "(Final)" means? Also, was the motion adopted unanimously?

This is not good and I'm worried that there won't be enough time to include the removal as part of the Lake Shore project. I have a question... do you know what "(Final)" means? Also, was the motion adopted unanimously?
I think it's ok, clearly the City wants to avoid a court case and the rails are gone anyway. I suspect the end result will be a that protected corridor is maintained so that , one day, a rail line could be rebuilt IF someone pays the huge cost and if it can, somehow, be reconnected to the main line. I think there was no vote but was not watching and minutes not out until next week. It's kind of hard to be too sorry for those objecting as they never used it when it was there. The only, occasional, user was the City who no longer need it.

Back