Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

I’d like to understand why Lake Shore needs 6 lanes east of the DVP. Is there really that much traffic? Reducing that roadway would do wonders on the “traffic calming” front. As is, I hate crossing Lake Shore.

Oh damn - I missed the fact that there’s a dedicated left-turn lane. So, that’s 7 lanes of traffic, and at least two of those lanes are over-wide for freight. So sad.

I’m glad they’re at least trying to build a linear park, but Lake Shore is overbuilt and overly-car oriented. I think we’re nerfing the public realm improvements by having such a wide roadway, but...let’s see.

I think it's a good start and in 20-25 years time when more residential buildings are in the area the street will be up for reconstruction and we can narrow it even more!

I remain confused (again?) as to why they keep talking about the Harbour Lead Rail Line. From everything I hear elsewhere, Ports Toronto and CreateTO are in final stages of abandoning it (and it is now blocked off on east side of Don River.) Frankly, I would like to keep it operational (in the median as is proposed) but I think 'someone' needs to decide if it will actually exist and if it won't then update these plans and schedules to remove it.

Maybe they can't legally do it until that decision is made - and therefore have to keep it in the proposal even though it is functionally dead? Look at the bright side -if it turns out to be unneeded you can end up with a potentially much wider public promenade/viewing area on the bridge.

AoD

Reactions: DSC
Oh damn - I missed the fact that there’s a dedicated left-turn lane. So, that’s 7 lanes of traffic, and at least two of those lanes are over-wide for freight. So sad.

I’m glad they’re at least trying to build a linear park, but Lakeshore is overbuilt and overly-car oriented. I think we’re nerfing the public realm improvements by having such a wide roadway, but...let’s see.

I absolutely think there's room to cut one more lane each way.

But ideally, that would be integrated with reducing Lake Shore east of Coxwell to 1-lane each way; cutting one of the NB lanes on Woodbine; cutting the parking lane all together on Woodbine from Lake Shore to Queen; and formally reducing Coxwell to 1 lane way way north of Eastern Avenue.

You need to slim the traffic profile coming into and out of that corridor.

As a good deal of that traffic originates well to the east; this should be paired with a high profile boost to GO service, boosting rush hour trains by adding 2 additional trains (minimum) that start at Guildwood; as well as moving 15M service on weekday evenings and weekends.

That way you're also giving people a clear alternative in that corridor.

I absolutely think there's room to cut one more lane each way.

But ideally, that would be integrated with reducing Lake Shore east of Coxwell to 1-lane each way; cutting one of the NB lanes on Woodbine; cutting the parking lane all together on Woodbine from Lake Shore to Queen; and formally reducing Coxwell to 1 lane way way north of Eastern Avenue.

You need to slim the traffic profile coming into and out of that corridor.

As a good deal of that traffic originates well to the east; this should be paired with a high profile boost to GO service, boosting rush hour trains by adding 2 additional trains (minimum) that start at Guildwood; as well as moving 15M service on weekday evenings and weekends.

That way you're also giving people a clear alternative in that corridor.
Yes, if/when one reduces road space (or changes for it) you need to offer alternatives. Just as London did when they introduced their congestion charge 15 (?) years ago and greatly increased bus service at the same time.

I should mention in the context of my above thoughts.

That the reduction in LSB, east of Coxwell, would create much needed new parkland there. Tough swallow for some, given how green the area is; but it gets so crowded in the summers, especially on weekends.

That relocating/reducing some of parking would add ~0.8ha or 2 acres of new parkland (removed eastern most lot only).

I guess this is just a giant dewatering system? And the house sized, white piece of machinery to the left is a pump?
This is on the south side of Polson slip.
PXL_20201117_203418347.jpg

PXL_20201117_203257877.jpg

Whatever it is, it looks all very weird, long and complicated.

...as in, if fell in it on one end of it, I'll come out like a pink pool noodle at the other. :(

Last edited:
I was down in the eastern portion of the Portlands tonight, no time to grab photos, but a couple of observations.

a) New sidewalk is under construction wherever it was missing on the north side of Commissioners from Leslie to at least Bouchette in the west (where I went north).

At first blush, the sidewalk does not seem to allow for the intended streetscape; however, that might be obtainable later by rebuilding the curb and road w/o touching the sidewalk. I certainly hope we're not double-spending here.

Glad to see a sidewalk though.

b) One of the overhead rail signals has been taken down from one of the crossings of Lake Shore (what was the most westerly of 3 crossings, and one that has long since vanished). This was likely done awhile ago, since Google has it reflected in Streetview. The tracks for this one don't even exist in Lake Shore anymore, how odd to leave the gantry.

1605829340587.png

The 2nd of 3 crossings in this section still has all the proverbial bells and whistles (and track, in the road):

1605829547930.png

But it goes nowhere:

1605829592584.png

Nowhere to go on the other side:

1605829633267.png

That leaves only the Harbour lead w/its rather significant missing chunk at Leslie/Commissioners.

Back