Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Would they even want to start construction before flooding protection is done? I'd imagine the insurers might have something to say about that.

Often seen water-filled foundations at construction sites. They just pump it out afterwards. It's after occupancy, that flooding would be a big problem.

July 07
Just uploaded these shots
42852778275_c316053679_b.jpg

42852763115_51e7b80e57_b.jpg

42852766955_2eaf0a0593_b.jpg

43040865334_e6152f18ce_b.jpg

42852783035_3c6fafcfce_b.jpg

I can't wait to see how this all turns out. So far the plans look great, but I can't say I'm confident in the architecture we'll get considering what's gone up on the waterfront so far.

Very interesting design. It's a step in the right direction from the original design, but I would like to see some more industrial visual cues. Weathered steel and rivets.

It's also interesting that the Broadview streetcar ROW is on the west side. IIRC, the East Harbour GO station design still had the streetcar in the middle of the road. So it makes me wonder where they intend the transition to happen.
EDIT: got the Commissioner's bridge mixed up with the Broadview bridge, nvm. @interchange42

Last edited:
I can't wait to see how this all turns out. So far the plans look great, but I can't say I'm confident in the architecture we'll get considering what's gone up on the waterfront so far.

I just got back from a two-week vacation in Scandinavia. Seeing the architectural quality in Copenhagen and Oslo's newer waterfront neighbourhoods, and comparing it to what we've gotten in Toronto thus far, I just wanted to cry.

I just got back from a two-week vacation in Scandinavia. Seeing the architectural quality in Copenhagen and Oslo's newer waterfront neighbourhoods, and comparing it to what we've gotten in Toronto thus far, I just wanted to cry.
Having visited Copenhagen, I was impressed by the architecture of its new neighbourhoods but disappointed in their planning. Ørestad was full of gorgeous buildings surrounded by mostly nothing. It all felt very isolated and suburban despite the metro line nearby. There was no human scale! The West Don Lands, by comparison, feel like a part of the city even with many of the lots still vacant. The architecture is much less exciting here, but I think I'd rather live in a vaguely boring building with a nice lively streetscape than a stunning building surrounded by surface parking.

All that being said, I'd be thrilled if WT set BIG, 3XN, and Henning Larsen loose on the Lower Don Lands.

Yep, I just had a look at new some developments in Oslo via Google maps. It's just objectively better. Not surprised. If some Americans wish they were Canadians, some Canadians wish they were Scandinavians.

Very interesting design. It's a step in the right direction from the original design, but I would like to see some more industrial visual cues. Weathered steel and rivets.

It's also interesting that the Broadview streetcar ROW is on the west side. IIRC, the East Harbour GO station design still had the streetcar in the middle of the road. So it makes me wonder where they intend the transition to happen.
EDIT: got the Commissioner's bridge mixed up with the Broadview bridge, nvm. @interchange42

I think I know what you're getting at and would agree. Not that I'm saying what's proposed isn't great. It's futuristic and graceful, and the colour post-DRP is more than welcome. But something about older industrial I feel could make a presence. Rusty rivets and cage-like iron does have beauty, as can be gleaned from say the Cherry Bascule or Queen East bridge over the Don. Tho other than my armchair musing have no idea how such could be incorporated into something that's also to have futuristic qualities.

As an aside and o/t-ish, I would be open to a complete rethink of the LRT and how it's to come into Villiers. I think an overlooked option would be 2-car LRVs, elevated all the way from Freeland. High capacity, high speeds, with the added bonus of more pronounced bridges at Cherry North and Commissioners.

Reactions: syn
Having visited Copenhagen, I was impressed by the architecture of its new neighbourhoods but disappointed in their planning. Ørestad was full of gorgeous buildings surrounded by mostly nothing. It all felt very isolated and suburban despite the metro line nearby. There was no human scale! The West Don Lands, by comparison, feel like a part of the city even with many of the lots still vacant. The architecture is much less exciting here, but I think I'd rather live in a vaguely boring building with a nice lively streetscape than a stunning building surrounded by surface parking.

All that being said, I'd be thrilled if WT set BIG, 3XN, and Henning Larsen loose on the Lower Don Lands.

We are getting some of these Architects projects within the city. BIG on King St W for example and possibly more by the others.

We are getting some of these Architects projects within the city. BIG on King St W for example and possibly more by the others.

Well 3XN is already doing two of the Aquas at EBF; Foster is signed up for 3C next door. We do need something a little iconic to anchor the area though.

AoD

Back