Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

Would I be correct to assume during construction, shore line stabilization, dredging and other steps needed to complete the work, will not interfere with volume flow levels and possible upstream backup.My question is what's the contingency plan for an event at least at the 2013 level or greater?

AFAIK it shouldn't affect anything - Keating Channel will remain the operational during the construction (see Chapter 6 of the Environmental Assessment for phasing information: https://trca.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Chapter-6.pdf)- not creating negative impact is one of the guiding principles of the phasing plan.

I am not sure if you need a "contingency plan" - the whole point of this exercise is to finally resolve the issue of flooding in the Lower Don.

AoD

Last edited:
The Eastern avenue bridge is nearing end of life as well, unfortunately. Quite a bit of structural steel has collapsed from above in recent months. I'm shocked its still there. It's been, what, 60 years since it was decommissioned? The time has come to either restore it and find a use for it, or remove it.

Hmm, if there were only a tunnel to conveniently co-locate it in *cough* relief line *cough*

Not sure if colocating a high pressure gas line with a subway is necessarily a good idea....

FYI, here is a map of the pipeline system in Toronto and vicinity from the OEB, dating back to the Portland Energy Centre days:

upload_2017-8-31_9-50-40.png

https://www.oeb.ca/documents/cases/EB-2006-0305/dec_order_egdi_portlands_20070601.pdf

The bridge in question feeds Station B - and the location is awkward given East Harbour. I imagine the site could be worth some pretty $$$ though.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-8-31_9-50-40.png
    upload_2017-8-31_9-50-40.png
    293.9 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Understood. Just that sometimes mother Nature can throw curve balls.
My thought would be what can be done (if possible and at what cost))as work continues gradually increasing volume out flows as work progress hopefully engineers have asked themselves this question.

The Eastern avenue bridge is nearing end of life as well, unfortunately. Quite a bit of structural steel has collapsed from above in recent months. I'm shocked its still there. It's been, what, 60 years since it was decommissioned? The time has come to either restore it and find a use for it, or remove it.
"Sixty years"...yikes....thinking about it, it was thirty years ago when I lived in a converted warehouse space just off of Eastern Avenue and 'discovered' that bridge roaming the area. You've got to be right, without an investment in upkeep, deterioration beyond the point of remediation must be approaching. I thought there were plans to re-utilize it, but just reading on City Hall's head-in-the-sand on stormwater remediation, it's no great surprise.
https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/op...36128835/?ref=http://www.theglobeandmail.com&

I was taking a close look at Essroc Quay day before yesterday and yesterday. Some posters had talked about the project "starting". I can see absolutely no sign of that being the case. There are some antiquated barges tied up in the slip...if that's it, God help us all.

Very comprehensive, progressive and promising.

That being said, I kind of wish the potential building heights were a bit higher around Villiers Island. It seems like the bulk of urban development has shifted out of the Portlands over to the adjacent East Bayside/Unilever sites.

the heights aren't massive, but the FSI's are still quite high. Nothing crazy, but high for a clean slate development context.

Besides, there is a private land owner who owns two of the blocks actively pushing for more height on their block. The whole thing may not turn out to be extremely short.

When was the last time the city actually used an interim control bylaw? Similar to holding by-laws, it isn't something you see in Toronto very often.

When was the last time the city actually used an interim control bylaw? Similar to holding by-laws, it isn't something you see in Toronto very often.
It is not something that can be used very often by design.

If there is landlord who is subject to two separate interim control bylaws within 2 years of each other, then they can appeal to the OMB to lift the entirity of the second by-law.

Back