Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

kotsy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yep, she's on the move!

Quick cell pic from just now (sorry, no tags!)

PXL_20201110_183154000.jpg

ProjectEnd

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Would absolutely love to see the Hearn get repurposed. It would cost a mint to clean that place up, but what a monumental, cavernous space it is - the potential is as enormous as its hulking presence! Imagine it as an event space hosting concerts, dance recitals, installations... it's a stupendous building and it's a legitimate part of Toronto's waterfront heritage.
Last I heard, the Hearn was sold off by the province last year. How do you think we proceed from here?
Doug gave it to a donor friend in 2018. $16m.

thefreak

Member Bio
Reaction score
Would absolutely love to see the Hearn get repurposed. It would cost a mint to clean that place up, but what a monumental, cavernous space it is - the potential is as enormous as its hulking presence! Imagine it as an event space hosting concerts, dance recitals, installations... it's a stupendous building and it's a legitimate part of Toronto's waterfront heritage.
It was used as an event space which hosted a couple of techno parties - it was extremely fun. The lighting was insane - one of my favorite Toronto partying experiences ever.

Lenser

Member Bio
Reaction score
Yeah, my wife has worked in there a few times as a scenic on movie shoots and I've tagged along to take pix. We also went there for Luminato a few years back - or was it Doors Open? Anyway, hell of a place. I remember my dad, a professional engineer back in the day, saying he was given a tour of it in the late 70s or early 80s, when it was still very much a going concern. The sheer size of the turbines and related generating equipment really impressed him. But man, it's a toxic hell hole. That stuff is practically baked in. PCBs and who knows what else. It would be fantastic if it could be cleaned up.

UtakataNoAnnex

Member Bio
Reaction score
Doug gave it to a donor friend in 2018. $16m.

And when Doug faces the heat during an election over this stuff, he'll declare the results all a fraud. As we all know how this will all go... /bleh

...meanwhile, hows our floating bridge installation lining up?

globalexpress

Member Bio
Reaction score
Hello sunshine ! Floodlights are also on. Rotation done by approx. 9pm followed by 5-6 hrs of barge sink and placement, so I have been told.

20201110_163409.jpg

20201110_163509.jpg

Latest as of 5pm, a glitch apparently regarding bearings has halted rotation, hopefully temporarily. Hence the welding equipment.

_1150187.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

achender

Member Bio
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmm. "Glovertown Spirit".
Glovertown is village in Newfoundland with a ship building yard.
Looks like this barge may have been built there looking at the yards webpage.