Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

One more before I leave for the beach. I'll be back in a couple hours for more. It's being rotated so slow that you can't even see the movement

PXL_20201110_183510330.jpg

Would absolutely love to see the Hearn get repurposed. It would cost a mint to clean that place up, but what a monumental, cavernous space it is - the potential is as enormous as its hulking presence! Imagine it as an event space hosting concerts, dance recitals, installations... it's a stupendous building and it's a legitimate part of Toronto's waterfront heritage.
Last I heard, the Hearn was sold off by the province last year. How do you think we proceed from here?
Doug gave it to a donor friend in 2018. $16m.

Would absolutely love to see the Hearn get repurposed. It would cost a mint to clean that place up, but what a monumental, cavernous space it is - the potential is as enormous as its hulking presence! Imagine it as an event space hosting concerts, dance recitals, installations... it's a stupendous building and it's a legitimate part of Toronto's waterfront heritage.
It was used as an event space which hosted a couple of techno parties - it was extremely fun. The lighting was insane - one of my favorite Toronto partying experiences ever.

Yeah, my wife has worked in there a few times as a scenic on movie shoots and I've tagged along to take pix. We also went there for Luminato a few years back - or was it Doors Open? Anyway, hell of a place. I remember my dad, a professional engineer back in the day, saying he was given a tour of it in the late 70s or early 80s, when it was still very much a going concern. The sheer size of the turbines and related generating equipment really impressed him. But man, it's a toxic hell hole. That stuff is practically baked in. PCBs and who knows what else. It would be fantastic if it could be cleaned up.

Doug gave it to a donor friend in 2018. $16m.

And when Doug faces the heat during an election over this stuff, he'll declare the results all a fraud. As we all know how this will all go... /bleh

...meanwhile, hows our floating bridge installation lining up?

Hello sunshine ! Floodlights are also on. Rotation done by approx. 9pm followed by 5-6 hrs of barge sink and placement, so I have been told.

20201110_163409.jpg

20201110_163509.jpg

Latest as of 5pm, a glitch apparently regarding bearings has halted rotation, hopefully temporarily. Hence the welding equipment.

_1150187.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hmm. "Glovertown Spirit".
Glovertown is village in Newfoundland with a ship building yard.
Looks like this barge may have been built there looking at the yards webpage.

Back