Toronto Lower Don Lands Redevelopment | ?m | ?s | Waterfront Toronto

"Darn Kathleen Wynne, in bed with big business and holding expensive dinner fundraiser events! I'm going to vote for someone who will be like that times TEN! That'll show her!"

I don't understand some people's politics or lack of a standpoint.

That said, I applaud your willingness to admit that you helped elect the government behind reckless environmental policy (or lack thereof), deregulation of health and safety measures, and homophobic attitudes in our school curriculum. And that's just a few of the many many things that have happened already. Can't wait to see what the next 3 years holds!

The fact that you think this is the reason people voted against Wynne...lol.

The only other reason I know of is those that believe we desperately need austerity measures (despite the Ford gov. in fact cutting revenue sources and planned tax increases on the highest earners in the province), or those who wanted a lower cost of living (I won't even get started on that one).

From Saturday Dec 29
C87D39B5-FDA0-465F-8A26-8AF71EB95635.jpeg

Aquabella cranes in the foreground.

February 4, 2019

CONSTRUCTION NOTICE #8: Port Lands Flood Protection

PORT LANDS FLOOD PROTECTION – PROGRESS UPDATE

What is happening this month

1549324127127.png
1549324127194.png

Left: Excavators are at work on the first section of the new river valley, digging up to 1 metre to establish the shape of the valley. In addition to excavators, expect to see front end loaders and rock trucks moving and storing soil. Right: Throughout the month of February, there will be partial lane closures on Commissioners Street while we conduct surveys and geotechnical investigations – at no point will the street be fully closed. The drill crews will also be working on the grassy area alongside Don Roadway between Villiers and Commissioners Streets. This work will not impact traffic along Don Roadway.

1549324127313.png

Area 1: Soil stockpiling

Areas 2, 3: Excavation, demolition and site preparation

WHAT TO EXPECT:
  • The bulk of the work is scheduled on weekdays between 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
  • The impact of this work on traffic will be minimal. Throughout the month of February, there will be partial lane closures on Commissioners Street a while we conduct surveys and geotechnical investigations – at no point will the street be fully closed.
  • The geotechnical drilling will also occur in the grassy area along Don Roadway – no impact to pedestrian, bicycle or vehicle traffic
  • During excavation and stockpiling, we anticipate some odours.
What to expect this winter and early spring

1549324127439.png

Area 1, 2: Construction will start on New Cherry Street and foundation for the new Cherry Street North Bridge. Existing Cherry Street and Cherry Street Bridge will remain open.
Area 3: Soil stockpiling
Area 4, 8: Site preparation and demolition at the site of the future Promontory Park South. This includes removing the remaining structure of the Marine Terminal 35 building and salvaging components of the building to be reused. For an overview of our plans to preserve elements of this building and build a commemorative structure in its place, please reference slide 25 of the August 2018 presentation to the Port Lands Flood Protection Stakeholder Advisory Committee. You can find that document at https://portlandsto.ca/wp-content/uploads/Final-presentation-SAC-3.pdf
Area 5, 6: Excavation, demolition and site preparation
Area 7: Tree removal and demolition in the future ice management area. Once completed, this section of the Don River will help to break up ice in the winter and keep water flowing through the valley.

WHAT TO EXPECT:
The bulk of the work is scheduled on weekdays between 6:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
  • During excavation and stockpiling, we anticipate some odours
  • There will be some noise caused by construction of the temporary walls, drilling and concrete truck deliveries
CHERRY STREET LAKEFILING – PROGRESS UPDATE

1549324127548.png

Lakefilling continues to create new land in the area highlighted in purple. A total of 20,000 truckloads of locally sourced clean fill has been placed around Essroc Quay to form the northwest corner of the future Villers Island. The crew will continue with lakefilling and creating the new shoreline and fish coves. Marine Landscaping work will cease over the winter months and start back up in the spring.

1549324127611.png
1549324127673.png

Left: The latest aerial image of the Cherry Street Lakefilling project, showing the new shoreline taking shape and new land forming south of Essroc Quay. Right: Closeup of lakefilling progress between the extended dock wall on the south side of the Keating Channel and Essroc Quay.

QUESTIONS:

To learn more about this project, please visit portlandsto.ca. Use this online form to send us questions or concerns about construction or email us at plfp@ellisdon.com. For urgent construction related issues, please contact Cameron Coleman, EllisDon, at 416-464-3583.

Attachments

• 1549324067225.png
    1549324067225.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 419
  • 1549324066821.png
    1549324066821.png
    112.1 KB · Views: 409
  • 1549324066739.png
    1549324066739.png
    102.8 KB · Views: 388
  • 1549324067290.png
    1549324067290.png
    116.6 KB · Views: 390
  • 1549324067163.png
    1549324067163.png
    174.5 KB · Views: 406
  • 1549324066949.png
    1549324066949.png
    337.6 KB · Views: 380
  • 1549324067082.png
    1549324067082.png
    338.3 KB · Views: 400
This is just so damn cool.

We're building a river.

Can we change this neighbourhood name to Little Dubai? Maybe Little Palm Jumeirah?

It's cool that such an undertaking is occurring with very little attention to it. I think if you were to tell any non UT'er that we are filling in the lake, carving out a new river, and creating a new community out of it - they wouldn't believe it.

Love watching this unfold and seeing the progress. Have a few random questions though, figured I'd throw them out at the universe and see what people knew.

1. The Bayview extension was flooded again over the last couple days. Wondering if anyone knows whether the new alignment will help mitigate flooding there as well.
2. I know that this is specifically for the portlands development, but is there any news as to what's going on with the Don Mouth Naturalization, whether it's aligned with the progress behind this project? Wouldn't you enlarge the river mouth before bringing another river online?
3. What is the official word on what happens to Rebel and T&T? I don't think businesses in the area have been told if and when they're relocating as of yet.

1. I be
Love watching this unfold and seeing the progress. Have a few random questions though, figured I'd throw them out at the universe and see what people knew.

1. The Bayview extension was flooded again over the last couple days. Wondering if anyone knows whether the new alignment will help mitigate flooding there as well.
2. I know that this is specifically for the portlands development, but is there any news as to what's going on with the Don Mouth Naturalization, whether it's aligned with the progress behind this project? Wouldn't you enlarge the river mouth before bringing another river online?
3. What is the official word on what happens to Rebel and T&T? I don't think businesses in the area have been told if and when they're relocating as of yet.

1. I believe this would help, at least for when the southern part of Bayview floods.
2. The Don Mouth Naturalization is just another word for this project, I believe.
3. I believe they are on privately owned land so this is being built around them - they can stay as they are throughout the process.

2. I know that this is specifically for the portlands development, but is there any news as to what's going on with the Don Mouth Naturalization, whether its aligned with the progress behind this project? Wouldn't you enlarge the river mouth before bringing another river online?

Second things first.

These two are the same project.

https://trca.ca/conservation/green-...n-project/don-mouth-environmental-assessment/

Note the title:

Don Mouth Naturalization and Port Lands Flood Protection Project – Environmental Assessment

Now back to number one, this project does not materially affect flooding of Bayview north of Queen. There is a plan to do some work in the Don narrows (the straightened part of the river from just north of Gerrard to Eastern) that will reduce flood depths a bit, but not eliminate them even on the 2-year cycle.

That said, there are other projects under way which will impact this.

Notably the new stormwater storage and conveyance tunnel system. Phase 1 is now underway and will address stormwater/CSO overflows from The Forks south (Area where East Don, West Don and Taylor Creek meet).

A later phase will run along Taylor Creek to Warden Avenue.

This will reduce stormwater surge levels on the river and eliminate some floods.

Fully eliminating floods at the 25-year storm level is not all that likely. This would require either raising the conveyance capacity of the river significantly or raising Bayview. The latter is more practical, but I'm unaware of any serious proposal to do so.

Finally, number three. So far as I know, the new alignment of Cherry Street will cross the existing T&T property and require its removal. Not sure on the timing.

1 & 2. The "new alignment" and "new river" are one and the same, and it basically means that the Don won't have to make a sharp right turn into the Keating Channel to dump the water into the lake. The Keating Channel will still be there, but the water will also be able to continue flowing south from that spot, meandering its way through a curving course into the lake. That should mean that the water will not rise as quickly as it does now… but Waterfront Toronto have said that the new river will not be quite enough to stop the largest overflows. That's why the whole Corktown Common area was put behind a berm, and why the east side is going to be put behind extensive berms over the next few years: the Don will still spill over its banks during the "100-year" events that happen once every year or so now.
3. T&T is in the path of the Cherry Street realignment, so when they get far enough south with that, that store is gone. Rebel is not threatened by the redevelopment.

Back