Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

I'm usually of the opinion that the public art component of condos is a waste of money that would have been better used for anything else like park improvements or whatever... but THIS sculpture looks amazing and adds positive visual interest to the streetscape just like it should. Great work.
The other one I really like is the monster in the Distillery District!

I typically agree, most of the sculpture on Bay - ROCP & across the street is utter garbage. I find it hard to believe some student from the OCA (sic) wouldn't do better if given a shot. Chicago, for example, has outstanding art for similar purposes. CityPlace art is very good too IMO.

7255284716_2f075df02a_b.jpg

What a great photo. The black and white really highlights the details of the building. Nice!

Now that's a f*%)#* landmark.

Thank you Westbank, James Cheng & Hariri Pontarini for providing Toronto with this welcome break from banality.

Hey guys , im new to UT , im in high school and skyscrapers are my passion! i have 2 great pics of Shangri-La that i took today and i am having difficulties knowing how to post them , could you guys tell me what to do , thanks in advance ! :)

Every bird on the RISING sculpture/rails/flag poles is unique. I heard that each bird took two weeks to make and were all, individually, hand-made. Most of them are flying up and away (as if they were startled) as the large roots give the impression of coming to life.
Here is a close up of one of my favourite birds. He looks like he’s having some fun! Nicknamed “the crazy-upside-down-bird”.

www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=434617493216596&set=o.197921993552815&type=3&theater

It gives you a good look at all of the tiny pieces of metal that each had to be formed/welded/polished. The amount of time that must have been spent is unbelievable!

RISING is indeed amazing...but I think they will need to get the protective glass up in front of it asap...admiring it the other day, it just looked vulnerable to some tagger's handiwork, or worse...they need to protect it...

RISING is indeed amazing...but I think they will need to get the protective glass up in front of it asap...admiring it the other day, it just looked vulnerable to some tagger's handiwork, or worse...they need to protect it...

I am pretty sure that MOST taggers would never betray an artists work, and feel as artists themselves. Many walls are given murals , so the taggers will leave them alone..... I am not defending taggers, ( some are great artists though) but anyone who tagged sculpture, or others art is not a tagger, but a vandal and an ass!!!!!
At least thats how it works here in the US..........

Toronto Star article on the Soho Club that is to be part of the Shangri-La complex: Soho House cozies up to Shangri-La

On Monday, Nick Jones, founder and CEO of the London-based Soho Clubs Group, is expected to officially confirm the Toronto location is opening adjacent to the Shangri-La Hotel, now nearing completion, at University Ave. and Adelaide St.

The club will be situated in Bishop’s Block, the historic structure built in the 1930s by John Bishop as a butcher shop and most recently the home of the Pretzel Bell tavern, until it was closed and boarded up. In the 8,000-square-foot space will be a restaurant and event space for film, media and creative industries, Michael Braun, an executive with the Shangri-La developer, told the Star’s Susan Pigg earlier this month.
The Soho House group, founded in 1995, already operates clubs for the exclusive use of carefully selected members in London, Berlin, Los Angeles and Manhattan.

But its drive for world domination was fuelled in January when high-flying U.S. billionaire Ronald Burkle’s Yucaipa Companies paid just under $400 million to acquire a controlling interest in the group. Burkle immediately became Soho’s chairman, with Nick Jones remaining as CEO.

Thanks to the new infusion of cash, Soho has hatched plans to add Toronto, Mumbai, Istanbul, Chicago and Barcelona to its chain. Along with its existing 10 private clubs — most with pools and some with cinemas — the company also owns 11 public restaurants, and hotels for “members, guests and friends.â€

Back