Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

A lot of this has to do with brand. Trump is tacky, tacky, tacky. I'm sorry but it's true. He's a comb-over blow hard and if people want to sink their money somewhere they're going to do it with a reputable brand...it's no coincidence that Ritz, 4Seasons and Shangri-La are so fast out of the gate relative to Trump.
Honestly, Trump seems like an 80's anachronism...it's like Leona Helmsley trying to develop a condo on her name brand.

That's my take on it too. If I were going to spend millions, it wouldn't be on that brand.

Though the Leona Helmsley name might still go over well around Church + Wellesley...

Where is it? On the site of the building-to-be?

I believe the sales office is in the building right beside the site, 200 University. I did valet parking during one of the preview days. Everybody who went received a very nice booklet. I tried to get a copy but they wouldn't give one to somebody parking the cars for potential buyers. Then again they wouldn't even give some of the leftover food at the opening gala (and there was lots) to the people serving food and drinks there.

A lot of this has to do with brand. Trump is tacky, tacky, tacky. I'm sorry but it's true. He's a comb-over blow hard and if people want to sink their money somewhere they're going to do it with a reputable brand...it's no coincidence that Ritz, 4Seasons and Shangri-La are so fast out of the gate relative to Trump.
Honestly, Trump seems like an 80's anachronism...it's like Leona Helmsley trying to develop a condo on her name brand.

Yup! If I can afford any, Trump will be the LAST place I want to buy. I'd rather get a no-name brand condo. Trump's only popular in New York or US, it's his ego telling him that he's big elsewhere.

Here is a grainy image of the model from over on ssp.

503626094_3c3a3b67dc_o.jpg

I donno...the Trump building will at least have taller in-suite ceilings than the Shangri-la. Shangri-la will mostly have 10' ceilings, and Trump will have 11'-13' ceilings.

I prefer the Trump floorplans to the Shangri-la plans, except most Trump units don't have external balconies. The Shangri-la plans are "very vancouver"... they have open kitchens. If you have staff that cooks for you or who are preparing food for a dinner party, they will be open to the living area. I notice in Trump (and Ritz, Museum House, Four Seasons, and most existing luxury towers in Toronto) that kitchens are enclosed rooms for which your cook/food preparation person can be out of sight, as well as cooking smells out of nose ;)

Just my opinion, as I examine luxury 'all open' condos here in Vancouver. I prefer the Toronto floorplans personally, insofar as the Toronto residences are better able to graciously handle formal entertaining.

just an idea:

Not to get the thread further OT but...

why doesn't trump toronto consider setting up a sales office in vancouver? Vancouver really does do a better job of attracting wealthy investors--especially from China/HK/JapanKorea--and ultimately has a greater international "profile" than Toronto. I have a hunch that Trump would've sold out years ago if they'd thought of that idea. Good idea for the Vancouver developer behind Shangri la Toronto!

They might have started a trend: sales offices in Vancouver selling "cheap" Toronto real estate. Now that gives me an idea: sell those "bargain" Annex homes from Vancouver and see how the Vanppl react when they compare a 500 sq ft condo to a 2000 sq ft Victorian! Might result in a "little vancouver" neighbourhood within Toronto..... lol.

They might have started a trend: sales offices in Vancouver selling "cheap" Toronto real estate.

A little late to call it trendsetting considerng Concord started it with either HVE or West One a few years ago and Tridel made it a trend soon after when they opened their Vancouver sales office

http://www.tridel.com/bc/

Vancouver really does do a better job of attracting wealthy investors--especially from China/HK/JapanKorea--and ultimately has a greater international "profile" than Toronto.

While Vancouver can be rightly considered Canada's gateway to the Pacific, many Asian investors now deal in Toronto real estate without having to go through Vancouver. For example, the Toronto Ritz-Carlton has sales representatives in Hong Kong, and has placed ads in the newspapers there. Since Shangri-La is based in Hong Kong, I would imagine that they will do the same thing, if they haven't done so already.

I prefer the Trump floorplans to the Shangri-la plans, except most Trump units don't have external balconies. The Shangri-la plans are "very vancouver"... they have open kitchens. If you have staff that cooks for you or who are preparing food for a dinner party, they will be open to the living area. I notice in Trump (and Ritz, Museum House, Four Seasons, and most existing luxury towers in Toronto) that kitchens are enclosed rooms for which your cook/food preparation person can be out of sight, as well as cooking smells out of nose ;)

Just my opinion, as I examine luxury 'all open' condos here in Vancouver. I prefer the Toronto floorplans personally, insofar as the Toronto residences are better able to graciously handle formal entertaining.

Agreed - the Trump floorplans screamed high end exclusive.

Back