Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

^ ?

lincoln-memorial-8.jpg

Didn't we all take optics in grade 10 physics? In the photo above the reflecting surface is between the object and the viewer, so there is a visible reflection. In the photo of Shangri-La, the object (the blue wrapping) is on the same plane as the reflecting surface (the glass), so it seems impossible that from the perspective of the photographer what we're seeing is the glass reflecting the blue wrapping. That would be akin to saying that if we were to float above the pool in the photo above, we'd see the reflection of the grass lawn in the pool.

Last edited:
Every picture I took this morning .. no blue. It is reflective though.

well, give this some thought : in the previous picture it is blue and non reflective. that should tell you that its appearance (as with virtually any glass) changes with time of day and angle that light is hitting it at. BUt thats all academic. Thanks for the pics and lets keep watching, hopefully they'll start adding lots more panels soon...

glass colour = serious business!

Thanks for the photo updates guys. The next few weeks should be really interesting as more glass gets added. I think it seems to be about as high quality as the Four Seasons glass which is a very good thing! (hard to tell from one panel though)

I don't think the glass is blue. It's clear, it's just reflecting the blue insulating material beside and underneath it.

Last time I checked, reflections had to be in front of the object, not under it or beside it.

Despite Caltrane's lack of skills at articulating his meaning... I think I know what he was getting at...

I assumed he was referring to the phenomenon of visual perception that when one colour is surrounded by another our eyes perceive the first colour to be tinted by it. For example: When your girlfriend with the hazel eyes wears a very blue dress, you remark at how blue her eyes look today, when in fact they are still hazel.

Despite Caltrane's lack of skills at articulating his meaning... I think I know what he was getting at...

I assumed he was referring to the phenomenon of visual perception that when one colour is surrounded by another our eyes perceive the first colour to be tinted by it. For example: When your girlfriend with the hazel eyes wears a very blue dress, you remark at how blue her eyes look today, when in fact they are still hazel.

I agree. Another example is when you are in a room with yellow paint, the yellowish hue seems to be picked up by clear objects which seem to have a similar effect, while not reflective.

Incidently, Cal by blasting up the contrast as in your latest picture, it does really appear bluer. Now I am totally confused as to what the actual colour of the glass is when one looks at it. I will have to go down now and see it in person.

The first thing you'll notice if you go down there is .. the glass is clear.

It may have a blue tint, but its very, very hard to see in person, it is obviously more noticiable in pictures.

The second thing you'll notice is that it is reflective.

And there you go, almost a clone to the Four Seasons glass...except that the spandrel is grey.

Back