Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

I wonder how many buildings have been built on a typical downtown lot. I'm guessing that starting from the first European settlement, at least half a dozen buildings would have been successively built and demolished on an average downtown plot -- of which we have photos of only the most recent two or three, the earlier ones' images never being recorded.

Quick history lesson for Steveve...

Between the late 50's and early 70's thousands of buildings in the core were demolished to make surface parking lots... I know, I know Steveve this sounds counter-productive but if you know what was going on at the time... to the people of that era, it made sense.

In North America in the 1950's the automobile was beginning to rule the world. People were no longer trapped to live in inner city housing. Finally working couples could own a home of their own. Previously home owning was for the rich and anyone else rented either a row house or apartment.

Now they were free to own their own home, but they had to purchase farther away and so "The suburbs" were invented. Huge housing developments with detached homes and two car driveways, Strip malls and elementary schools etc... However, they all still worked downtown. [The "Corporate Drives" with head offices located in the 905 was still a few years away (1970's - 1980's)].) and they had to get downtown somehow... (The Yonge Subway system was not ready until 1954 and the Bloor line not until 1966)... So they drove their cars. All these cars needed somewhere to park and entrepreneurs soon realized running a parking lot was a lucrative business. So, hundreds of Victorian, Edwardian and even Georgian (Both Georges V ands VI) were demolished to park all these cars.

Owning and operating a surface parking lot was way more profitable than trying to maintain an aging building. So we lost a lot of old buildings. Some lots have been vacant for going on 40 years because of the suburban boom and the car.

no wonder parking lots are so expensive!
yes.. it seems very weird to demolish buildings for parking lots... but THANK GOD (in a sense)! Without that we would have never got Shangri-la! :D

Obviously there were a lot more mitigating factors that I'm sure other (older) UT'ers can add to the reasoning... but that was the beginning of the transformation of Toronto's land use.

I love this kind of stuff...

In case you are curious what the Shangri-la site looked like 45 years ago... Taken in 1966 from the top of City Hall looking Southwest.

20100814-cityhall1966.jpg

(Found on a cool site called blogTO found in a "Toronto of the 60's" thread found here: http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/08/toronto_of_the_1960s/ )

It's really unbearable to see that. What great housing stock Toronto used to have.

Cladding is up. As expected it is amazing running home to upload now.....

Its clear like 4 seasons glass, but the spandel is a reflective grey silver.

Can't wait for the picture please Cal. Thanks. This sounds great. I take it from your amazing comment you approve. Let's wait and see how the rest feel on the forum.

If I didn't have a stomach bug, I would have taken some photos for you all. Maybe tomorrow if I'm feeling better! Looking forward to your pics Cal.

Hard to say much yet. It looks a little like the Ritz, but then the east/west elevations might have something different going on. Looks like there's a vertical fin on the right side of the frame as well.

Back