Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

wow, no wonder they are calling this a 5 star hotel... all thats missing is a helipad on the roof! big jump in maintenenace fees once you go above the 50th floor! I guess for the budget minded purchaser floor 49 is the one you want to be on...

wow, no wonder they are calling this a 5 star hotel... all thats missing is a helipad on the roof! big jump in maintenenace fees once you go above the 50th floor! I guess for the budget minded purchaser floor 49 is the one you want to be on...

The limosine service and the double car closed garage is available only to the Estates above floor 50. They also start I believe now at around $2.9 million for 2000 sq. ft. I guess if one has $1500/sq.ft., one can still pay 74 cents maintenance. Still compares favourably to other 5 star hotel rates. In fact,if and it is a big if the 54 cents holds true for floors 18-50; then it is very reasonable though room service/maid service is a la carte and extra.
There are very hefty premiums going up each floor. From I believe $4000/floor. for the small units to $8000 I believe for the 2 bedrooms: so to go from floor 20-50 is $120000 to$240000 more. Personally as spectacular as the view would be around the 50th, I am afraid I personally might get some vertigo. I don't do well at extreme heights though I am OK with the 20's. I recall once being at First Canadian Place at around the 50th floor and when I approached the window, it was a little disconcerting for me. However, the view is absolutely spectacular from that height.

One thing to keep in mind with these low maintenance fee numbers, is that they may increase considerably after the first year of occupancy. Developers have a habit of under estimating the maintenance fees when marketing their projects.

One thing to keep in mind with these low maintenance fee numbers, is that they may increase considerably after the first year of occupancy. Developers have a habit of under estimating the maintenance fees when marketing their projects.

Agree wholeheartedly.
However, given that there are enough units and that 1/4 is paid by the hotel of the common facilities, hopefully it will be reasonable.
I estimated based on 60 cents despite their quote of 54 cents for the residences.

I forgot to mention... they are on the sixteenth floor!!!

saw them forming it this morning! - looks taller than 215 University and the Cresna Partners building, getting close to the DUNN AND BRADSTREET BUILDING - DBRS whatever that stands for..

yay!

wow, no wonder they are calling this a 5 star hotel... all thats missing is a helipad on the roof!

Hm.. just noticed after you're reading your post, but Toronto has (I think) ZERO skyscrapers with helipads..
I know they're usually for buildings in areas prone to earthquakes (Every tall building in LA needs one), but many towers in NY have them, and, unless I am mistaken, I am pretty sure some in Chicago have them.

I forgot to mention... they are on the sixteenth floor!!!

saw them forming it this morning! - looks taller than 215 University and the Cresna Partners building, getting close to the DUNN AND BRADSTREET BUILDING - DBRS whatever that stands for..

yay!
DBRS: I believe was the new name for Dunn and Bradstreet Rating Service. I believe they shortened it. I could be wrong. I seem to recall that there was a Dominion Bond Rating Service as well.
I googled and this is what came up:
http://www.dbrs.com/about
DBRS
Formed in 1976, DBRS is a globally recognized provider of timely credit rating opinions that offer insight and transparency across a broad range of financial institutions, corporate entities, government bodies and various structured finance product groups in North America, Europe, Australasia and South America. Based in Toronto, with offices in New York and Chicago, DBRS is independently owned and operated, is not affiliated with any institution or organization and does not partake in any trading or underwriting activities. Currently, DBRS rates more than 1,000 different companies and single-purpose vehicles that issue commercial paper, term debt and preferred shares in the global capital mark

Hope this helps.

Hm.. just noticed after you're reading your post, but Toronto has (I think) ZERO skyscrapers with helipads..
While not really a skyscraper St Michael's Hospital has one on the roof.

from today's Star 'Condos on the Market'. interesting to note that the hotel is only the first 17 floors - so as far as concrete goes, they are nearly finished the hotel portion....also, once again this project is being shown as 66 floors....

The two penthouse suites are 2-storey, 64th & 65th floors so unless they snuck another floor in there somewhere that we don't know about I'd think that it's probably mechanical, or a misprint.

"They also start I believe now at around $2.9 million for 2000 sq. ft."

That seems a little rich for a 2,000 sq foot place. Are you sure?

"They also start I believe now at around $2.9 million for 2000 sq. ft."

That seems a little rich for a 2,000 sq foot place. Are you sure?

I am not certain but I was referring to the Estates on floors 50 and above. However, I am quite sure that about 1800 sq. ft. Residence suite (not the Estates above) (the largest though not most expensive price/sq.ft. NE units are now around $1000/sq.ft. at around floor 35 so likely close to $2 million for around the 49th floor. The SW and SE corners are more expensive/sq.ft. though the sizes are smaller around 1500-1600 sq. ft. if I recall. (they are 2 bedrooms vs. 2 bedroom with library/den on the NE/NW corner.

The estates have additional features as standard, prestige of being higher up, 10 ft. ceilings, and more upgrades. It may however be around 2200 sq. ft. that is $2.9 million. Not 100% sure. But I believe they are advertising the estates "from $2.900,000 now. They also recently increased prices by 8% virtually across the board so 8% on say $2.7 million is another $200,000 and would put it up to $2.9 million immediately.

from today...
20101106092.jpg

20101106098.jpg

20101106102.jpg

20101106110.jpg

Last edited:
I know they're usually for buildings in areas prone to earthquakes (Every tall building in LA needs one), but many towers in NY have them, and, unless I am mistaken, I am pretty sure some in Chicago have them.

Well, since the 1977 Pan Am heliport disaster, such futuristic features have falled out of favour in NYC.

Except for stuff like hospitals--if those count as "skyscrapers". (It's a reason for the flattopped addition to St Mike's, after all.)

Great pics Jason! here's a few more from today....

5152180939_a27449bdde_b.jpg

5152180685_4b62e38a56_b.jpg

5152180389_4ba85e40b8_b.jpg

5152790168_97f2a240df_b.jpg

Last edited:

Back