Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

by me

sany0007l.jpg

Excuse me if I'm wrong but I thought the verdict was that there wasn't going to be angled glass (and that it was just a trick of the rendering)--but from caltrain's recent pic (starting on the fifth floor on the right side) it look like it might be after all. Does anyone else see this?

Another great update of this and so many other projects.....Thx as always, Jason!....

Agree with 1 caveat. Hotel goes up to floor 17. Floors 18 through 20 are somewhat different and therefore will slow construction for a short period. Then floors 20-50 once again follow the same palatte. Then there is again a change at 51 to 64 and the final 2 penthouse floors. However, this should not delay things very much.

I was away for 3 weeks and had not looked at a picture since going and they went up 4 floors in that time frame, so faster than a floor a week.

I must say I am amazed at how large and imposing the base is (as others have mentioned) and how the tower seems to be getting much sleeker already at this phase, so imagine how it will look when up at the 60th level floors.

Aura if you want the nicer views/height. but i think Shangri-la has a much better location and it's a more "classy" building. :)

I think there will be very different "feels" to both these buildings. Shangrila is a large project but still only about 360 units vs. Aura which will have I believe around 900. Perhaps someone could correct me on this. I realize of course there is a hotel component to Shangrila but this will have a different entrance.

Shangrila's entry level pricing as well is double that of Aura (since the units are larger) and I believe the average condo in Aura will price out similarly to the entry levels at Shangrila (penthouses excluded). I believe this will result in a different mix of people than at Aura. I am not saying they will be more "classy" but I believe they will be a wealthier, older demographic than at Aura, which may have more a broad representation of age groups.

And 'Snobs"

Not all wealthy people are snobs but your point is taken. I was simply trying to point out to Steveve (he is young afterall and I thought it would be of benefit for him to get the views of an older more experienced individual) that I think the demographics will be different due to price point and that there is a hotel component. Whether the hotel is a good or bad thing, I haven't yet decided.

Actually given that Shangrila is "supposedly luxury" and Aura is " hi end moderately luxury" the fact the 2 are compared bodes well for Aura since it is being compared to the "luxury products" being offered in the city despite a lower price entry point. That can only help Aura's value (or detract possibly from Shangrila's).

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with 1 caveat. Hotel goes up to floor 17. Floors 18 through 20 are somewhat different and therefore will slow construction for a short period. Then floors 20-50 once again follow the same palatte. Then there is again a change at 51 to 64 and the final 2 penthouse floors. However, this should not delay things very much.

I was away for 3 weeks and had not looked at a picture since going and they went up 4 floors in that time frame, so faster than a floor a week.

I must say I am amazed at how large and imposing the base is (as others have mentioned) and how the tower seems to be getting much sleeker already at this phase, so imagine how it will look when up at the 60th level floors.

The residental levels have 11" concrete floor slabs to reduce sound transmission between suites so that's a considerable amount of extra concrete to be hauled up and poured for each floor too.

Hey, walked by the Shangrila Toronto this morning on my way to work, and they have finished forming the columns on the 8th floor level, so I suspect that by the end of the week we should see the beginnings of the 9th floor forming underway here. Shangrila, where it is now is the most exciting project for me to watch, maybe next year when its up 40 or so storeys, I might not care as much.....But right now its very fun to watch.

Back