DSCF5347.jpg

DSCF5348.jpg

DSCF5354.jpg

DSCF5355.jpg

DSCF5356.jpg

DSCF5404.jpg

DSCF5402.jpg

DSCF5362.jpg

Can someone explain to me why Mississauga is building townhomes in its "city centre"? Why not encourage mid-rise mixed use development on those lots?

Can someone explain to me why Mississauga is building townhomes in its "city centre"? Why not encourage mid-rise mixed use development on those lots?

Because no matter how much developers and city's try, families just aren't making the move to condos. A thriving city centre is one where a large mix of people will live, work and play, and the townhomes provide way more options for families than any condo can ever dream of. It seems to be working so far, as from what I have seen, MCC has a great mix of families.

Because no matter how much developers and city's try, families just aren't making the move to condos. A thriving city centre is one where a large mix of people will live, work and play, and the townhomes provide way more options for families than any condo can ever dream of. It seems to be working so far, as from what I have seen, MCC has a great mix of families.

And also, townhouses are in higher demand than condos. Many of the families prefer living in townhomes than condos, so MCC creates a mix of families by having both condos and townhouses. There is no crime in having townhouses being built there. Welcome to new era - a new mixation of the urbanization!

It seems rationale to me. Keep in mind in downtown Toronto, you can own a home and be in the think of things ! For all the condos there's plenty of housing right in the core in the areas most consider "urban" !

The slight exception being the St. Lawrence Market area it self. Go a little east though, there are plenty of homes.

Now having said that how you build them and where is important, ideally they should still be on the edges, or in this case behind the buildings fronting streets lined with retail / office use.

And also, townhouses are in higher demand than condos. Many of the families prefer living in townhomes than condos, so MCC creates a mix of families by having both condos and townhouses. There is no crime in having townhouses being built there. Welcome to new era - a new mixation of the urbanization!

Those townhouses are actually condos too.

But yeah, having diversity of housing types is probably a good thing. It's just a pedestrian walkway after all, not a major road or anything.

While this doesn't answer your question exactly, there are other larger cities also doing the same thing.
In Toronto, I can think of a few examples right off the bat. U Condos, The Met and Encore, and Radio City.

^ i was lying at the top of the hill behind the living art centre this morning while my parents were at the farmers market. All i could do was wonder why all these condo's have townhomes. i would love to see more retail. I guess i can keep dreaming.

^ i was lying at the top of the hill behind the living art centre this morning while my parents were at the farmers market. All i could do was wonder why all these condo's have townhomes. i would love to see more retail. I guess i can keep dreaming.

There is going to be plenty of retail in the Confederation District i.e.Limelight, next phase of Daniel's One Park Tower and Parkside Village. There is existing retail in Capital Towers and Chicago.

Last edited:

Back