Toronto Library District Condominiums + Toronto's 99th Library | ?m | 29s | Context Development | KPMB

Does anyone know when the eastbound lanes of Fort York St. east of Bathurst will open? It would be damn nice to have these open.

Oh and I should say that I've emailed the interim councillor for Ward 20 numerous times about this with no reply. So I consider that a complete joke and a waste of taxpayer dollars. I miss Adam Vaughan.

That will be up to the developer building the condo, it's in their hands at this point. And even when Adam Vaughan was there to reply (well, it was his staffers who would reply, and they were excellent), his timing was way off.

hats.jpg

wow.... hats off to MafaldaBoy for this picture... you must have a tall ladder to get this picture... lol.... over head shots capture so much in one picture. what a massive difference then 10 years ago. it wasn't long ago the whole area was a golf course..... now all we need is the empty spot beside canoe park to be built up. i've heard people say a school, shopping mall was going into that area. .... does anyone know why nothing has gone up there in ten years?..... has their been word of something going to be built. ... so much good land going to waste. ... hopefully something will go in their to complete the area.

Attachments

• hats.jpg
    hats.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 2,165
Last edited by a moderator:
wow.... hats off to MafaldaBoy for this picture... you must have a tall ladder to get this picture... lol.... over head shots capture so much in one picture. what a massive difference then 10 years ago. it wasn't long ago the whole area was a golf course..... now all we need is the empty spot beside canoe park to be built up. i've heard people say a school, shopping mall was going into that area. .... does anyone know why nothing has gone up there in ten years?..... has their been word of something going to be built. ... so much good land going to waste. ... hopefully something will go in their to complete the area.

It's going to be 2 schools, a community centre, and a day care. The city has already issued an RFP for this project, and we should be seeing a design soon. Construction is set to be done by 2017.

That will be up to the developer building the condo, it's in their hands at this point. And even when Adam Vaughan was there to reply (well, it was his staffers who would reply, and they were excellent), his timing was way off.

How it is fair to the rest of the community that the developer has the right to take their jolly old time getting this road completed is beyond me. It is way past time this road opens up. This area is starving for more access points.

About Adam Vaughan -- I miss him exactly for the reasons you said. He actually replied to me many times. And his staff replied even more, and on a timely basis.

It angers me that this interim "Councillor" spends her time advocating for stupid causes that advance her own career objectives rather than serving her constituents and answering their inquries. Interim or not she is getting paid a pretty penny and this is ridiculous.

It's going to be 2 schools, a community centre, and a day care. The city has already issued an RFP for this project, and we should be seeing a design soon. Construction is set to be done by 2017.

I too want to thank MafaldaBoy for an amazing picture.. thanks man.

I think development in Cityplace should be on a moratorium until the following infrastructure requirements are met:

-the 509 streetcar returns into service

-Fort York Blvd east opens to traffic

-the streetlights at Lakeshore Rd east and Dan Leckie way are better optimized (i.e. lengthen the left turn arrow time)

-the streetlights on Spadina are optimized to favour north- and south-bound traffic flow (to alleviate the ridiculous crushes at rush hour and after Jays games)

-the Gardiner Expressway construction is completed

-box junctions are installed at Spadina and King, Spadina and Front, Spadina and Fort York, Spadina and Lakeshore.

Currently this area is a disaster for in and out access. This area is an example of how *not* to design a community - basic infrastructure is lagging development in a terrible way.

Last edited:
You will get one ticky soon. 509 is back in a month. And whether or not something is fair doesn't matter. The city lets developers get away with all kinds of crap.

I too want to thank MafaldaBoy for an amazing picture.. thanks man.

I think development in Cityplace should be on a moratorium until the following infrastructure requirements are met:

-the 509 streetcar returns into service It is due to return on 11 October - I suspect November for the section west of Spadina.

-Fort York Blvd east opens to traffic. This will apparently happen when the construction south of the eastbound lanes finishes.

-the streetlights at Lakeshore Rd east and Dan Leckie way are better optimized (i.e. lengthen the left turn arrow time). You presumably mean traffic lights.
-the streetlights on Spadina are optimized to favour north- and south-bound traffic flow (to alleviate the ridiculous crushes at rush hour and after Jays games) You presumably mean traffic lights.
-the Gardiner Expressway construction is completed. That would be 'never" :->
-box junctions are installed at Spadina and King, Spadina and Front, Spadina and Fort York, Spadina and Lakeshore. The City has given up painting boxes as there was no enforcement.
Currently this area is a disaster for in and out access. This area is an example of how *not* to design a community - basic infrastructure is lagging development in a terrible way.

See specific comments above but overall you are correct, access to City Place is terrible. There are (or will be) three entry points. At Spadina on the east, on Bathurst/Fort York Blvd on the west and at Lake Shore Blvd on the south and all are onto already busy streets.

Is there any new retail in new'ish cityplace area develpments ?? What about the TCHC building ?

Does anyone know what the status of the land is North of the library? This has been lying empty for ages and would be very easy to connect to the Fork York path system by going under the Bathurst bridge. This would open up more park for City Place and an East/West path without crossing Bathurst.

1587729437705.png

It looks like in the original renderings it was shown as developed parkland:

1587729802785.png

Does anyone know what the status of the land is North of the library? This has been lying empty for ages and would be very easy to connect to the Fork York path system by going under the Bathurst bridge. This would open up more park for City Place and an East/West path without crossing Bathurst.

View attachment 242221

It looks like in the original renderings it was shown as developed parkland:

View attachment 242222

Back