Toronto Liberty Market Lofts | ?m | 13s | Lifetime | Wallman Architects

The obsession with grey never seems to end in this city but this building is uber grey. It's in Liberty Village, so why not keep it all red brick? It's the red, historic buildings that make Liberty Village attractive. The new condos on the east side just bring the whole neighbourhood down. The sad part is, it could have been a unique and beautiful part of Toronto. Developers are turning it into just another dull, grey, ordinary neighbourhood. Thank god the historic factories are staying or else the developers would put up grey, spandrel monstrosities and walk away smiling. The whole east side of Liberty Village is a complete write-off.

At least Wallman chose red brick for the contrasting box in the facade that gives the building some visual identity. It's too bad that the building seems to have been cheapened with the external grid in the earlier renderings simplified significantly. Yet even Wallman's cheapened design looks above average. The screen which crowns the roof, for instance, is a nice touch.

I totally agree about Liberty Village being a lost opportunity beyond the converted factories. It's puzzling how much crud was put up. In terms of brick, I think the current group of architects is so focused on Modernism that red brick is shunned as traditional. Black brick allows for contrast with the traditional yet also allows for a historical connection in materials to be made. It's overplayed though. Red is a superb colour of brick. It won't compromise Modern design to use red brick.

Last edited:
July 4
5905425734_41c50e6f59_b.jpg

5905415004_2d52a50dee_b.jpg

5905412278_17e977e51b_b.jpg

5904846481_fbb47047f3_b.jpg

Wow..this just got approval from the city:confused:

5 HANNA AVE
Condominium Approval 11 317842 STE 19 CD Ward 19
- Tor & E.York Nov 29, 2011 --- --- --- ---
Proposed plan of condominium for a new mixed use building compleet with 295 dwelling units and 2 guest suites

^It does seem a bit early with still a year and a half of construction. I guess it is sold out though so no chance of adding more suites.

can someone tell me when these will be ready? because no one will call me back from the sales office or developers office. The last letter they sent out said July 12 2012...but maestro you posted Nov 29th saying its still a yr an a half until they are done? really? i find that hard to believe when they seem to be on the 5th floor already.

Back