Toronto Legacy, Ultra, and Yorkland at Heron's Hill | ?m | 40s | Mattamy Homes | Graziani + Corazza

Given that Legacy was sold out with cross roads being right in its face on the north side - I would say your reasoning for people leaving crossroads needs a revaluation, may be they are leaving for reasons other than JUST THE VIEW, I personally think the three cross road towers actually add to the ugliness of the entire setup. These three towers removed from the scene or replaced with some techy looking buildings will give the area quite a nice look.

Also you mention tenants !! and then you say they are planning to sell and move !? Not sure what you are trying to say in this very first post of yours !

+1. I agree. Herne, your argument isn't really fair. There are plenty of houses surrounding the Crossroads buildings yet I highly doubt you saw them complaining about the decrease of sunlight when the 3 Crossroads buildings were being developed. It's understandable that the lack of sunlight for the Crossroads is "disappointing" but I don't see how the development of the Monarch condos could have been positive for you guys in any ways.

I don't know if anyone else in the Crossroads Community condos has replied to this thread, but we generally find the construction across the street to be disappointing. With only one tower built, our south-facing tenants are already seeing a significant loss of sunlight, with several of them planning to sell and move because of it. We also wonder if anyone even thought about the impact of so many new residents would have on the community when we only have easy access to one grocery store for example. It's disappointing that the city is allowing such a build up of condominiums along Sheppard Avenue.

This development was subject to Official Plan Amendment and Zoning By-law Amendment applications, and even went to the Ontario Municipal Board. The Crossroads residents would of had a significant amount of opportunities to address their concerns when the applications were being processed. There were public meetings and Community Council meetings where nearby residents and businesses could have voiced their concerns. The applications were approved by the OMB in 2004, so it's possible that those in the Crossroads community that have these concerns (all valid, mind you) moved into the buildings after 2004. The approved plans could have been provided to them at the time they purchased their units.

The Legacy building is approx. 85 metres away from the closest Crossroads building, and that's the podium. The tower is approx. 120 metres away. The shadow impacts would be very minimal and only affect a few of the lower floors, maybe a bit more in the winter with a lower sun in the sky. I think all the units will have full sunlight in the summer when the sun is at its highest.

So I went to the site to take some pics late last night and security kicked me out :p
I waited for him to leave to take some quick pics but it was way too dark to get anything worth keeping.
I'll take some pics this weekend and post for you guys that are interested but basically Ultra is on its way - right now the platform is being worked on.

Something that makes me wonder is how they're going to fit Yorkland between Ultra and the "Proposed Road", it seems like the 2 condos will be literally next to each other...

Last edited:
colinchrisc ... this should give you a good idea how Ultra will related to The Yorkland, phase 3 will in fact be located to the south of phase 2, not to the west ~ :)

monarchsiteplan.jpg

3 Towers of Heron's Hill Master Plan - northwest / southwest / southeast / northeast elevations
Click to Enlarge

colinchrisc ... this should give you a good idea how Ultra will related to The Yorkland, phase 3 will in fact be located to the south of phase 2, not to the west ~ :)

I should have been more clear. What I meant was it's hard to see how they'll fit Yorkland between Ultra and the "Proposed Road" but after looking at the Site Plan again, it's more clear now.

Anyone know if they'll build both Ultra and Yorkland at the same time or will they start on Yorkland in 2012?

I should have been more clear. What I meant was it's hard to see how they'll fit Yorkland between Ultra and the "Proposed Road" but after looking at the Site Plan again, it's more clear now.

Anyone know if they'll build both Ultra and Yorkland at the same time or will they start on Yorkland in 2012?

Ultra is already under construction.

As promised, here are some photos of the Heron's Hill Developments..

View of Legacy Mid-rise from Sheppard Avenue
P1000094.jpg

View of the Base of Legacy
P1000089.jpg

View of Reflections Recreation Center
P1000088.jpg

View of Reflections and Legacy
P1000086.jpg

Legacy close-up
P1000087.jpg

View of Ultra Base / Parking Garage?
P1000090.jpg

Another Parking
P1000082.jpg

Ultra Base
P1000093.jpg

Close-up Ultra Base
P1000092.jpg

Cheers!

This is such a clean, crisp and good looking development. Hopefully more builders will take note and design more of their suburban projects accordingly. Unfortunately the good looking buildings are still vastly outnumbered.

Given that Legacy was sold out with cross roads being right in its face on the north side - I would say your reasoning for people leaving crossroads needs a revaluation, may be they are leaving for reasons other than JUST THE VIEW, I personally think the three cross road towers actually add to the ugliness of the entire setup. These three towers removed from the scene or replaced with some techy looking buildings will give the area quite a nice look.

Also you mention tenants !! and then you say they are planning to sell and move !? Not sure what you are trying to say in this very first post of yours !

Given that the Crossroads Community was built in the 1970's, I don't imagine there would have been a lot of impact on nearby houses as there just weren't that many people there. Crossroads is also 3 towers located on 11 acres of property which significantly lowers the amount of "invasion" to other people around them whereas Ultra has 3 building (4 really) located on significantly less property.

To say that Crossroads is "ugly" may be your opinion. They were built in a time when solid brick buildings were the norm. I am of the opinion that miles of glass are "ugly," but that's just me. I should also note that the units within the crossroads are much larger than those in Ultra--I have a 1 bedroom and I enjoy 950 square feet of space, while someone who purchased a 1 bedroom in Ultra would have probably half that.

This isn't a case of "should they have built Ultra" but more of a case of "shouldn't they think more before putting such a large amount of people in one place?" Just imagine how many people they're adding to the neighbourhood and the havoc it's going to cause on infrastructure and traffic. The impact from the towers of Ultra blocking the sunlight is small compared to this.

This isn't a case of "should they have built Ultra" but more of a case of "shouldn't they think more before putting such a large amount of people in one place?" J.

They ??? who are you talking about ? Are you saying that builder should be thinking about this (lol) - I doubt thats something on the list of items to think about on builders mind in any urban city particularly when you use "Hi-Rise Condo" type settings, this will always be the case - more people in relatively lesser covered area - you dont like the idea, too bad buddy.

Not sure what Havoc are you talking about ? there are 100's of condos downtown and i dont see any "HavoC" ? Your opinion about glass looking ugly is certainly yours, however lets look at the +ve side of things, Glass is eco friendly and saves energy so has a positive spin to it besides adding a little mix to the are which currently is truly boring and dull with all the crappy buildings around.

Traffic is an issue in Toronto as it is, so i dont think blaming a condo development to add to this problem is wise or fair for that matter.

Really handsome building indeed. A very rare case where the actual building looks far superior to the rendering.

Surrounding area is still a bit of a dead zone, though.

5643649873_77526c869a_b.jpg

5643647557_0337270837_b.jpg

5643645455_23caba1e2b_b.jpg

Last edited:
It looks tackcy and boaring. This type of design has been done before. Tired of seeing all these ocean colour glass boxes poping up all over the city. The only thing good about this projet is that its not a "tower in the park concept" and its adding density to the much needed suburbs.

Back