Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

24 October 2013: I get the feeling that those who hate wires are the types who'd cut down a tree just to clear the view.
dhce.jpg

9b7f.jpg

m50t.jpg

24 October 2013: I get the feeling that those who hate wires are the types who'd cut down a tree just to clear the view.

Trees are important in cities, but a fundamental point of urban and landscape design should be not to obscure important low-rise architectural landmarks by planting trees in front of them. We have architecture to enjoy it, not hide it. Osgoode Hall is almost hidden behind the trees in front of it, even though part of it is supposed to be a vista for York Street. In the redesign of Front Street, the city's plan is not to plant trees in front of Union Station. I'm not against trees in front of landmarks, but the main architectural features like porticoes should clearly be seen.

The Edge

Please note all the different window shapes at the edge of the curve.

Last edited:
The row with missing triangular peace is not lined up perfectly, fortunately being so far up is barely noticeable.

I have many pics of the site that date before the above one. Such as this:

13193_453170118086311_1388487370_n.jpg

Or older still:

okeefe-1.jpg

Attachments

• 13193_453170118086311_1388487370_n.jpg
    13193_453170118086311_1388487370_n.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 579
  • okeefe-1.jpg
    okeefe-1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 535
Interesting to note that the Board of Trade Building was still standing when construction started on the concert hall, and gone in the later photo.

^^ I thought that was interesting as well.

How long did it take to construct the O'Keefe Centre anyway? They managed to dismantle the Board of Trade and convert it to a working parking lot before they got much further on the O'Keefe.

Here we are circa 1932 when the whole St. Lawrence warehouse area is still intact. Note the old train shed on the site of the future O'Keefe/Hummingbird/Sony Centre and L Tower in the lower right.

PHOTO - TORONTO - DOWNTOWN - AERIAL - 1932.jpg

Attachments

• PHOTO - TORONTO - DOWNTOWN - AERIAL - 1932.jpg
    PHOTO - TORONTO - DOWNTOWN - AERIAL - 1932.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 590
Here we are circa 1932 when the whole St. Lawrence warehouse area is still intact. Note the old train shed on the site of the future O'Keefe/Hummingbird/Sony Centre and L Tower in the lower right.

The destruction of St. Lawrence for those parking lots is sad. With that said, I'm glad people had a different mindset back then; had the debate over the financial district been as fierce as Mirvish-Grehry, we might not have our most beautiful towers (esp. TD Centre, and Scotia Plaza) today.

Back