Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

OT re: metallic cladding - can't help but notice the exactedness of the material - if only the ROM could have used something like that.

AoD

Indeed! It's ironic since the cladding used here is a much cheaper siding system, but I too think it would have looked far better than what was used on the ROM. But then, I think that whole building was an unnecessary disaster.

It's a shame they decided the green-wall idea wouldn't work out here; after cutting off the "boot", there was a solution for how to resolve the tower at its base which involved a green/living wall along Yonge Street, and the form of the podium was much more crystalline than what we got here. What we are getting doesn't seem to fit in with either the Sony Centre OR the curved tower above, unfortunately.

...Still, I like the cladding being used, and the square at the corner of Yonge and Front will be interesting. My favourite part is definitely the interestingly shaped entrance north of the tower which "burrows" under what will be the public square.

Still wish I could see some plans/drawings of what is going on there and what the podium's arrangement is.

Indeed! It's ironic since the cladding used here is a much cheaper siding system, but I too think it would have looked far better than what was used on the ROM. But then, I think that whole building was an unnecessary disaster.

It's a shame they decided the green-wall idea wouldn't work out here; after cutting off the "boot", there was a solution for how to resolve the tower at its base which involved a green/living wall along Yonge Street, and the form of the podium was much more crystalline than what we got here. What we are getting doesn't seem to fit in with either the Sony Centre OR the curved tower above, unfortunately.

...Still, I like the cladding being used, and the square at the corner of Yonge and Front will be interesting. My favourite part is definitely the interestingly shaped entrance north of the tower which "burrows" under what will be the public square.

Still wish I could see some plans/drawings of what is going on there and what the podium's arrangement is.
Yes, I much prefer this:

urbantoronto-132-3178.jpg

Yeah, I just feel it's more cohesive and it mimics some of the lines and angles seen in the Sony Centre.

- - - - -

My understanding was that the residential lobby will be located in the southwest corner of the tower itself.

Does anyone know what the northernmost entrance that is burrowed into the side of the public future square is for?

I think that with the loss of the boot, the Yonge Street frontage has been bungled. It's a bunch of anonymous walls. Even the green wall would have been a dead zone. That massive triangular arch at the corner of Yonge and The Esplanade is glazed with the same cladding as the tower instead of large panels of transparent glass with a massive chandelier or art piece hanging in a lobby for grandeur. I think a prominent landmark like this one should be as close to perfect as possible because of the attention it draws to itself. Unfortunately, the way it meets the street is unremarkable and disappointing.

Last edited:
I think that with the loss of the boot, the Yonge Street frontage has been bungled. It's a bunch of anonymous walls. Even the green wall would have been a dead zone. That massive triangular arch at the corner of Yonge and The Esplanade is glazed with the same cladding as the tower instead of large panels of transparent glass with a massive chandelier or art piece hanging in a lobby for grandeur. I think a prominent landmark like this one should be as close to perfect as possible because of the attention it draws to itself. Unfortunately, the way it meets the street is unremarkable and disappointing.

I completely agree. The tower just doesn't look anywhere near as cool as it should have without the boot. It's hardly an L anymore.

Last edited:
Sam, the man

This photo with L-Tower in the background was taken beginning of the month by one of the best photographers I know. His name is Sam Javanrouh and he is the photogrpaher behind the "Daily Dose of Imagery" photoblog that has won Best Photoblog and Photoblog of the Year in numerous publications. Unfortunately Sam is no longer posting pictures on a daily basis, but once in a while he still publishes nice pictures like this ...

tumblr_mun807EXh71ssh79no1_1280.jpg

If you are interested to learn more about Sam, here you find an interview with him a few years ago.

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous photo... Makes me want to wake up really early in the morning (which I won't, but wow)...

Last edited by a moderator:
Superb shot from Sam Javanrouh, udo. The lighting on that shot is spectaculart.

I just notice a small row of cladding go up above the penthouse on the south side.

Back