Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

It is not free-standing.

Wrong, it is free-standing.

It sits on its own, massive footing, constructed especially for supporting the crane itself. Not only that but the entire height of the crane will be made-up by tower crane sections. Other cranes climb up the tower and are supported by the tower. Just because it is tied off to the building doesn't negate its title as "free-standing".

And yes, it will be the tallest, free-standing crane in Canada.

The TD Building really need's a re-clad badly they need to change the colour our do something it looks so depressing.
Along with whatever building that is behind it with the exact same colour.

the Brookfield place should remain the way it is. it is an amazing piece of architecture, and the colour adds some variance to the skyline. if it were to receive a reclad, i would have it recald like the TD centre, looking exactly the same after the reclad was complete.

so i guess cladding will begin in January then.

Last edited:
First Climb

It took all day to first prepare for it and then get the first of five additional crane sections installed. The other four will go in faster, but I assume this will have to wait until next weekend, so that the crane can be used again for construction work on the tower during the rest of week.

6346496174_8f6f5d88e9_b.jpg
6346497722_e72c65fc72_b.jpg

The time-lapse video compresses the last two 2 hours of hard work (in the end in pouring rain) starting around 4:00 PM in the afternoon.

[video=vimeo;32128524]http://vimeo.com/32128524[/video]

Click on "vimeo" logo and then on "full screen" button to watch original size of video (Enhancement Request: I wish UrbanToronto blog would let me control size of videos and pictures).

Last edited:
I think the Port Mann Bridge crane may be taller

Good point, most people aren't even aware or have any interest in those two cranes.
Here's what we're talking about;

New Port Mann Bridge Construction by entheos_fog, on Flickr

Port Mann Bridge Construction by entheos_fog, on Flickr

280/365 - Bridge Building by entheos_fog, on Flickr

To note, in the second photo both of the Bridge piers have been topped off, reaching a height of 535ft. The utmost portion of the cranes appear to rise perhaps 100ft above that. Which would put them in the same 'over 600 feet' category as the L tower crane. I suppose it all depends on just how high the L tower crane will rise. I'd imagine that the highest point of the L tower crane would surpass or come close to the highest point of the L tower itself, which clocks in at 673ft. So I'd say that ultimately it'll probably surpass the Port Mann cranes by a small margin.

Here's the stats on the Port Mann Bridge cranes - 673 ft
(i.e. 30 ft taller than Vancouver's tallest building)

So L Tower's cranes will be a bit taller.

CRANE—SURREY, BRITISH COLUMBIA

Until 30 May 2012, a crane will be erected in Surrey, British Columbia. The maximum height is 673 ft above ground level (AGL) or 673 ft above sea level (ASL). The structure will be painted and lighted.

The first crane will be located at the following coordinates:
49° 12’ 56“ N 122° 48’ 41“ W

From 1 February 2010 until 30 June 2012, a crane will be erected in Surrey, British Columbia. The maximum height is 673 ft above ground level (AGL) or 673 ft above sea level (ASL). The structure will be painted and lighted.

The second crane will be located at the following coordinates:
49° 13’ 10“ N 122° 48’ 47“ W

Maybe this is for the L Tower crane:

CRANE—TORONTO, ONTARIO

Until 1 Nov 2013, one crane will be erected in Toronto, Ontario. The maximum height is 811 ft above ground level (AGL) or 1,066 ft above sea level (ASL). The structure is lighted and painted.

The crane will be located at the following coordinates:
43° 38’ 32” N 79° 22’ 54” W

This location is 0.7 nautical mile (NM) south southwest (SSW) of the Toronto St. Michael’s heliport (CTM4).

Last edited:
Thanks.
I checked the Nav Canada link above and didn't recognize a crane that would be for L Tower.
A different 700 ft crane is located at Ice too.

Last edited:
Udo's pcs and videos

Udo!

Really great stuff stuff you are handing in here.

When they talk about the building of the historical and iconic LTower many years from now, I have no doubt they will be looking at your stuff.

Keep up the good work, neighbour, and keep them coming.

Last edited:
The TD Building really need's a re-clad badly they need to change the colour our do something it looks so depressing.
Along with whatever building that is behind it with the exact same colour.

oh brother... more people giving aesthetic advice on (very prominent) buildings they dont even know the names of! That is Brookfield Place (formerly BCE Place) which is comprised of the TD Canada Trust Tower and the Bay-Wellington Tower. The colour and quality of the cladding is perfectly fine for AAA office buildings and as others have suggested it sets them apart from the other towers of the financial district. Luckily nobody in any psoition of power was listening to you. Now, on the other hand, with the preview we have seen of the L Tower cladding, it is going to be a real eyepopper and so Brookfield Place wll provide a nice backdrop for the L Tower to pop against...

and some fantastic work Udo - you just need to add some sexy music to your videos!

looking good ^^^ the arch looks great against the unnofficial flatiron building.
what's the height on this thing so far?.. 50m?

Back