Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

L2

That's just a nickname that I'm going to give Phase 2. Who knows what they are going at actually call the building.

The "boot" always looked like a "J" to me anyways, not an "L" LOL

The "L" always stood for Libeskind, the designer. I love all his work, worldwide.

Phase 2 will not contain the offices of GO Transit any longer. It will be all Condominiums on top of parking levels. A transparent bridge will connect the two buildings. It will look very sleek and modern, as only Daniel Libeskind would design both the bridge and Phase 2.

Do not quote me on this, but I think Phase 2 will only be 30 floors, the base (parking levels) wider, and the tower slim and narrow as it rises.

I for one, trust Daniel Libeskind, to not let us down.
He is not responsible for the changes that had to be made due to the City of Toronto not being able to come up with the funding for the arts centre that was proposed in the original L-Tower.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/715566

This article describes very well, what took place and who came to the rescue.

Last edited:
Thank-you for that

Thanks for posting those photos of the model above. For the first time I finally understand the context of the development and how it fits in and integrates with the Sony Centre.

Compliments are always appreciated :)

Here is the most recent rendering without the "boot"

Now, if I never saw the original rendering first, I would have fallen in love with this one even more :)

Attachments

• L-Tower_2012.jpg
    L-Tower_2012.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 293
Last edited:
Phase 2 will not contain the offices of GO Transit any longer. It will be all Condominiums on top of parking levels. A transparent bridge will connect the two buildings. It will look very sleek and modern, as only Daniel Libeskind would design both the bridge and Phase 2.

Do not quote me on this, but I think Phase 2 will only be 30 floors, the base (parking levels) wider, and the tower slim and narrow as it rises.

Well, Jaguar, this would be major news if true.....is this not 5-7 Esplanade, which was anticipated to be Page & Steele? If Libeskind has taken over, it could get interesting....also, I don't think the above-grade bridge has ever been mentioned before, although it makes sense...where did you get this info?

Well, Jaguar, this would be major news if true.....is this not 5-7 Esplanade, which was anticipated to be Page & Steele? If Libeskind has taken over, it could get interesting....also, I don't think the above-grade bridge has ever been mentioned before, although it makes sense...where did you get this info?

Well if thats true, it would be nice to see a similar designed (slope facing the opposite way) 30-40 storey building built across the street.:)

5-7 The Esplanade was discussed by the TEYCC in March 2009 and it has been before the OMB and at the Design Review Panel - most recently on November 17. (Anyone know what happened?) The plan requires both rezoning and official plan changes and, as far as I know, these are slowly moving ahead. The project, which is certainly closely linked to the L Tower, also has its own thread on UT. This report was approved by the TEYCC. http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2009/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-19704.pdf

Page & Steele + Libeskind

I believe they will be working on it together as they did on L-Tower.

Nothing, however, is official. I'm just the little "Bird" ;)

Last edited:
re: bridge

"..It will be all Condominiums on top of parking levels. A transparent bridge will connect the two buildings.."
I was told by one of the sales reps when I went in to the sales office last week, that there would be EITHER a bridge or a tunnel connecting the L Tower to the parking podium across the street. Translation: He has no clue what will happen.
Most of us here are fully aware that gathering accurate information from sales people is something akin to herding cats.
From a pure speculation point of view, I expect we will in time see a bridge design come forth as plans for 5/7 Esplanade get around to being finalized.
This personally, I think is both very exciting and just a little scarey.
If it is done well, it could create an interesting 'gateway' effect into the the St. Lawrence Market area. If done cheaply/badly it will feel like a Harlem subway ovepass.
One thing for sure. The L Tower design and creation saga is far from over.

I am hoping for a tunnel. The postcard "edge-on" view of 25 The Esplanade from the west will already be somewhat compromised by 5/7 The Esplanade, but it would be effectively wrecked (in my opinion) if a pedestrian bridge is allowed to go in front of it.

I am hoping for a tunnel. The postcard "edge-on" view of 25 The Esplanade from the west will already be somewhat compromised by 5/7 The Esplanade, but it would be effectively wrecked (in my opinion) if a pedestrian bridge is allowed to go in front of it.

Hate to break the news to you, but sadly you can kiss that 'postcard view' good-bye when 5/7 Esplanade goes up,..and it will go up.:eek:

That is not a final design. It was rejected.

I realize the design will see it's share of minor to major tweaks as all designs do. I just remain suspicious of this new "L" rumour considering the cancellation of the Go Transit project is continually brought up. Any schlub following the project knows this and has known about this for a long time.

I do like rumours though.

I believe they will be working on it together as they did on L-Tower.

Nothing, however, is official. I'm just the little "Bird" ;)

You just keep on tweeting, Jaguar....all information is welcome...:)

Back