Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

A new Libeskind tower connected to L would be news, but the bridge or underground passway have always been a part of this project, haven't they?

/\ From the get go. See the quick (and brutally amateur) Sketchup renders I did after the community consultation in the 5-7 Esplanade thread for a better idea.

and so it starts..

I was surprised to see workers removing the limestone cladding from the southwest corner early Sunday morning.

Attachments

• DSCF1847.jpg
    DSCF1847.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 274
  • DSCF1849.jpg
    DSCF1849.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 261
  • DSCF1858.jpg
    DSCF1858.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 277
well, it seems clear to me that he doesnt like the idea of the heritage building being "molested" in this way. A matter of opinion... the way everything is being condo-fied these days, just wait till RTH gets a cylindrical condo directly on top of it!

Personally I passed the point of patiently waiting to see this get built about a year ago. I just glanced back to post #1 in this thread and its already been 3-1/2 years ! Anyone know how much of a foundation this is expected to need?

Last edited:
Hmmm... that limestone cladding was very worn making the building look old and weathered. I wouldn't call this "rape" or "molestation". "Face-lift" would do the trick, or even "tasteful botox" for those plastic surgery enthusiasts. The Libeskind design calls for a contemporary feel to this older building and I assume it will create much criticism (like the ROM) but will one day be appreciated as an accurate representation of "New-Toronto Architecture" - A city with history and modern, contemporary style.

Last edited:
I was surprised to see workers removing the limestone cladding from the southwest corner early Sunday morning.

Just when I thought my morning serenade of concrete saws was going to be over now that the London sidewalks are almost finished! Looking forward to watching this one go up over the next couple of years though. I'll try and grab some shots over the months too, I have to walk by it daily anyway.

Hmmm... that limestone cladding was very worn making the building look old and weathered. I wouldn't call this "rape" or "molestation". "Face-lift" would do the trick, or even "tasteful botox" for those plastic surgery enthusiasts. The Libeskind design calls for a contemporary feel to this older building and I assume it will create much criticism (like the ROM) but will one day be appreciated as an accurate representation of "New-Toronto Architecture" - A city with history and modern, contemporary style.

Though keep in mind the cladding-replacement controversies over Hamilton City Hall...

I don't see this cladding replaced. It's gone..period. This is the corner where the actual Ltower building will go.
I expect you will see in the next few weeks, a complete demolition of this corner of the Sony.
My guess is that the limestone tiles are being removed carefully so that can be re-used for future repairs on the Sony building and therefore establish a continuity to the exterior appearance.

Last edited:
The limestone is being reclaimed but will not be reused in the construction of the new tower.

Any idea when ground breaking will happen?

technically they already broke ground. you can see a summary of the event, along with pictures a few pages back. who knows when meaningful construction will commence.

Back