Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

The northern part of the ROM was "smothered" long before the Crystal.

The Crystal has opened up the northern part of the ROM by relocating the entrance there and orienting the building to Bloor. The building it replaced sat behind metal railings, and a lawn that the public couldn't access.

I don't understand how smothering the northern part of the ROM with the crystal is acceptable but the boot on top of the Sony Centre was unwelcome?

There was opposition to both, and notice that they're both Libeskind designs. The ROM was criticized by some as too random and disconnected, but it does create for a very compelling public space on Bloor and opens it up. What's worse about the Sony Centre boot is the "stepping on heritage" image. The Crystal seems to burst out of the old building drawing positive attention to it. Without it, I bet that a lot fewer people would even remark on the beauty of the old building, which is a fairly conservative design for its time.

One thing I like about the ROM now is the Crystal Court, where the new Libeskind part of the ROM is physically linked to the older parts of the museum. The vastness of the space, the contrast between the old and new, and the unique views whether viewed from ground level or from the galleries above make for a very interesting space.

If Libeskind is able to produce such spaces linking Sony Centre with the L Tower then perhaps we can forgive him for "stepping on heritage".

Purchaser

I had posted a few replies in the past two days and suddenly they were deleted without reason.

is this not the place to post opinions on the subject: L Tower + Sony Centre?

I found my posts. They were moved to the Real Estate section on L Tower. I am not an agent. After studying new construction for several years, this will be my first Pre-construction purchase and just wanted to share all the information on L Tower.

Last edited:
I walked by L Tower today and noticed they have finally started working on the building from the roof. No cranes on site yet. I will post construction pictures as soon as I get some good shots.

Last edited:
South Side of L-Tower

I'm curious...what exactly is in that back section running along the Sony Centre? Would it not have been possible to reduce/eliminate that and retain the boot?

By back, do you mean the south side?

Here is a pic from the new model in their office.

Attachments

• L-Tower4.jpg
    L-Tower4.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 665
The "L" in L-Tower is Back

Here are some more shots

Attachments

• L-Tower1.jpg
    L-Tower1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 719
  • L-Tower2.jpg
    L-Tower2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 675
  • L-Tower3.jpg
    L-Tower3.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 715
That part of L Tower always existed on the south side, which makes me wonder if that part of it was always what made the "L" anyway...

And what's this about L2?

Last edited:
Look out for L2, since GO is no longer building the head office across from L-Tower.

You heard it here first ;)

This isn't news, we've know this for a while now :) At least I have.

But the question is, are they still marketing the office building - not GO, the developers - I saw it listed a while back, not sure by who.

Thanks for posting those photos of the model above. For the first time I finally understand the context of the development and how it fits in and integrates with the Sony Centre.

Back