Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

This is all sounding much better to me, at least from the viewpoint of the theatre, heritage building and public space.

But Castlepoint's 49-storey condo tower, slated to be built on the centre's east side

Oh no not a hight reduction:confused::(:mad:

The tip of the boot is all that was severed. The 'podium' goes all the way around the building, first along the Esplinade, then north on Scott St.

I thought that as part of the boot being severed the remainder of the podium was being converted to condos. Wouldn't that make the distinction arbitrary?

They have been writing 49 floors in these articles even when the planning application was going through as 57 floors. I'm not sure how accurate the article is.

^ So since there's no podium, the tower just lost 7-8 stories of height... unless they added 7-8 floors of condos into where the base was going to be, the tower is now shorter.

I'm just happy the tower is going ahead. It's going to be a driving force into more creative towers in Toronto just like the ROM inspired different ways of thinking about our cultural buildings.

There is a "podium" sort of. It's that lower portion that still makes it have the L shape on the south side. The tower portion is 49 stories on top of that. At least that's a guess I'm making.

Last edited:
Why do you guys so often treat these newspaper articles as if they are the final word in the number of storeys that will get built? You have all been here long enough to know that reporters are really slipshod about this kind of thing, often not understanding how podiums may affect the total, or just plain misquoting what is planned.

In this case the author is Martin Knelman, one of the Star's entertainment reporters, and his subject is the Sony Centre, while the L Tower is merely incidental to his story.

Don't sweat it!

For real, its still likely hasn't changed in height, as its all condo floors and was approved, and has a high percentage of sold units, no reason for a height change.

On a side note, I like that there will be a fountain in the square, I didn't know about that...

Back