Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Funny! I am a bit of an "exclamation point" enthusiast. Never-the-less, IMO any project breaking ground after the past year deserves an exclamation point.

Or a cigar and Irish whiskey (I'll take that instead of bourbon - personal preference only) while sitting on the end of my dock.;)

Or a cigar and Irish whiskey (I'll take that instead of bourbon - personal preference only) while sitting on the end of my dock.;)

The end of every day deserves a cigar and bourbon/scotch/I-Whiskey. But, the start of construction truly deserves an exclamation point (note: I had a VERY hard time not putting an exclamation point at the end of this sentence).

Personally, I hate exclamation points, if only because they are horrendously overused these days. I do, however, like that this project is indeed going ahead. Very good news (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Does any portion of the Sont Centre need to be demolished first?

From the plans and the renderings, the section at the back of the Sony Centre at the corner of Yonge and The Esplanade will, I think, be demolished and then rebuilt - but higher. It seems to contain the electrical sub-station and some of the behind-the-scenes things. Others may be better informed!

I still maintain that this design seriously needs to be rethought. The podium is unoriginal, clumsy and incompatible with the O'Keefe Centre. They need to stop clinging to the old 'L' or 'I' concept or whatever it is and start fresh with something new that is not a questionable compromise of a rejected scheme. This is a great site but I feel we're getting 'leftovers' here rather than a hot new dish.

I don't see how the original podium was anymore compatible with the Sony Centre. In fact I think the new 'podium' is far more deferential than the previous one.

I rather like the new design. It's simple and elegant. Also the crystals at the base remind me of Libeskind's ROM.

... which is why I don't find it very 'original'. The crystal thing has already been done and this just feels derivative.

Also, I'm not really claiming that the old podium was better. I wasn't a big fan of it either. My point is that it would be better to approach the site with a blank canvas rather than trying to preserve bits and pieces here and there which will always feel like a compromise of design integrity.

... which is why I don't find it very 'original'. The crystal thing has already been done and this just feels derivative.

Also, I'm not really claiming that the old podium was better. I wasn't a big fan of it either. My point is that it would be better to approach the site with a blank canvas rather than trying to preserve bits and pieces here and there which will always feel like a compromise of design integrity.

I don't see it so much as being derivative but a trademark of his style. Without opening a can of worms, I wonder, can an architect be derivative of himself?

Despite the fact that the integrity of the design has been compromised, it is still far and away one of the most interesting and unique buildings that Toronto has ever seen. I'll gladly take it and run rather than await a new design that could end up being truly stale.

Last edited:
My issue isn't so much with the tower but with the footprint of the building, and yes I'd rather wait than rush to have a compromised and clumsy design here. I understand all too well that I am dreaming and wasting my time, and I'll concede it is somewhat questionable whether or not somebody can be derivative of themselves but I'll stick to my assessment of the schlocky podium nonetheless.

from today's Star....looks like renovations to the Sony Centre can now go forward as well.....

Sony Centre finally ready to renovate
October 09, 2009

Martin Knelman

After a year's delay, the Sony Centre is finally set to begin its $28 million restoration and renovation project.

The city-owned theatre's complex deal with Castlepoint Realty Partners for a condo tower on the site closed late Thursday. "Until now, we had plans," says Dan Brambilla, CEO of the Sony. "Now we also have $28 million to execute those plans."

The Sony – which opened in 1960 at Front and Yonge Sts. as the O'Keefe Centre and became the Hummingbird Centre in the 1990s before Sony got involved – will reopen in fall 2010, Brambilla says.

But Castlepoint's 49-storey condo tower, slated to be built on the centre's east side, will not be ready until late 2011.

The agreement ensures that the theatre can operate without interference and noise, despite construction throughout 2011.

Canada's largest theatre of its kind has been closed since June 2008. At that time, the renovation was expected to start a few months later, with a reopening target date of late 2009.

But the recession and the credit crunch meant the tower was stalled, and a planned but unfunded Arts and Heritage Awareness centre in the base – along with a distinctive "L" shape – was scrapped in favour of a public plaza last year. The Sony could not move forward with its project until it had a signed deal and a cheque from its development partner.

Among the improvements planned: new lobbies, new washrooms, upgraded seats and floor, and improved mechanical facilities.

The original marquee canopy will be restored, and York Wilson's lobby mural The Seven Lively Arts will be showcased. Wood, brass and marble details will be restored.

Brambilla is planning to add a fountain plaza – in effect, a public park.

"It's one of the most complex deals Toronto has ever had," says Brambilla, clearly pleased to have defied predictions that the shovel would never go into the ground.

Hurrah! Finally!
Hope the renovating includes cleaning up and repairing the copper and limestone facing.
Damn shame that they felt the need to whack down those lovely Birch trees on the Scott St. side though.

Back