Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I really hope this one moves forward, but I wonder how this new deadline is going to be met.
How are they going to go ahead with this project without a firm plan for parking?
The parking for this building is supposed to be across the street at 5 Esplanade.
It would seem to me that they would need a firm go ahead for both buildings to go ahead at the same time.
..or am I missing something here with my logic..

I believe i heard that this proposed new building on The Esplanade will have above grade parking. Maybe they will build that development across the street in 2 phases, with the first phase being the parking.:confused:

Another poor effort for whom?

Not for, from.
Another very poor effort from Studio Daniel Libeskind.
His work is wanton, wasteful, lacks sophistication, pays no respect to any context and this project is no different.
His press officer and head cheerleader is the real talent in SDL.

So? Offer your preferred alternative.

And I'm not necessarily defending Libeskind's scheme here...

I might agree that the new version with the boot chopped off tends towards lacking sophistication, but the original design was fantastic. The shape of the tower is quite sexy to my eyes and would be a welcome addition and change of pace for this very boxy city. I'm suspicious that our new friend is a dedicated Libeskind basher... Adma's point is well taken, its easy to be a critic but why then arent we seeing designs from "Studio Little Man" ?

So? Offer your preferred alternative.

Well, if you want international names for architectural tourists invite:
Piano - elegant and assured
Calatrava - exuberent and expensive
Sauerbruch & Hutton - not boxy, not boring

Local names who would no doubt love to steal this one:
Teeple - has ambition and invention
Kohn Shnier - untested at this scale, but not afraid to push
Saucier + Perrotte - OK not that local, but worth a shot

Maybe David Childs is to blame... again.

Sorry, what did David Childs have to do with the ROM, the Student Centre in London and the Imperial War Museum in Manchester?
All poorly concieved, poorly detailed and frankly horrible to be in.

I'm suspicious that our new friend is a dedicated Libeskind basher... Adma's point is well taken, its easy to be a critic but why then arent we seeing designs from "Studio Little Man" ?
I am not a dedicated Libeskind basher, I can criticize others too, but my disdain for his architectural nonsense comes from real experience of his dreadful buildings.
Redroom you comment on many projects, perhaps one day you might pass judgement on one of mine.

Sorry, what did David Childs have to do with the ROM, the Student Centre in London and the Imperial War Museum in Manchester?
All poorly concieved, poorly detailed and frankly horrible to be in.

I am not a dedicated Libeskind basher, I can criticize others too, but my disdain for his architectural nonsense comes from real experience of his dreadful buildings.
Redroom you comment on many projects, perhaps one day you might pass judgement on one of mine.

Well nothing really. Wylie's implication concerned Child's neutering of Libeskind's World Trade Center masterplan/central tower.

Not all of Libeskind's compositions are perfect, but the Jewish Museum in Berlin is one of the most powerful buildings of our time.

My exact feelings about this overrated nincompoop. My blood boils every time I pass by the wretched ROM "Crystal". In 20 years, if not sooner, there will be serious talk to get rid of this horrific tumour once and for all, and replace it with something sensible, workable and which doesn't imperial pedestrians with sliding daggers of ice every winter.

Compared to the Terrace Galleries that it replaced, though, the Crystal is remarkably sensible and workable - the fun-with-frozen-water thing notwithstanding.

Is this condo moving ahead or not?

What is the latest news on L Tower. There was an article in the paper a few months back about whether it would move forward or not and they were confident that they would get financial backing. Since then, haven't heard anything.

What is the latest news on L Tower. There was an article in the paper a few months back about whether it would move forward or not and they were confident that they would get financial backing. Since then, haven't heard anything.

The answers to your questions (and more!) can be found in the last few pages of the very thread in which you posed this question. It's really quite convenient.

My exact feelings about this overrated nincompoop. My blood boils every time I pass by the wretched ROM "Crystal". In 20 years, if not sooner, there will be serious talk to get rid of this horrific tumour once and for all, and replace it with something sensible, workable and which doesn't imperial pedestrians with sliding daggers of ice every winter.

Oh grow up.

Any chance that Moderators could.. hmmm.. moderate this thread? It's gone off topic and into a piss competition. No new useful information here, yet this thread keeps getting bumped to the top.

Back