Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

I think the most eye-catching element is the metallic blue-grey cladding at the corner - I can't think of all that many buildings (esp. condos) that uses that kind of a design element in Toronto.

AoD

it also stands out because L Tower is also located in a spot where thousands of people have to walk by and when you stand next to it, it's quite a sight. Unlike Shangrila, Four Seasons, Casa, the Ritz, there's a reason to stand at Front/Yonge (Hockey Hall of Fame, O&B, Biff's, GO Train). it'll be good from a distance and close up.

can't wait to see more cladding go up.

I think the most eye-catching element is the metallic blue-grey cladding at the corner - I can't think of all that many buildings (esp. condos) that uses that kind of a design element in Toronto.

AoD

L Tower

7326185950_6a5c568fa0_b.jpg

7326272470_1e2c0925a2_b.jpg

Curve

At first sight the "curve has started" looks more like a sudden tilt and crooked.

7327899236_75d40d9d19_c.jpg

Looking at it more closely though you will notice that even though the columns reverse angle on the 39th floor the floorplates started to overhang (yellow arrows) to create the curve effect (yellow lines). I also noticed that the edge of the 39th floor is much chicker than the other ones (red arrows).

7327899662_3d7c665512_c.jpg

very cool. and wow, the change is instant! i was expecting a more gradual transition to sloping upwards, but they just did in with the difference of 1 floor. intense.

very cool. and wow, the change is instant! i was expecting a more gradual transition to sloping upwards, but they just did in with the difference of 1 floor. intense.

The curve itself will probably be more gradual.. It's the load bearing pillars that are changing so sharply.

Curve

The curve itself will probably be more gradual.. It's the load bearing pillars that are changing so sharply.

Here is a picture taken from a different angle in support of The_Architect's explanation. The orange line is the resulting gradual curve, despite the bearing pillers sharp change in direction (yellow arrow). The reason is the slab overhang, which is a bit more difficult to notice (red arrow). You can also see that the dividing walls still go all the way to the edge of the slabs (turqois arrow).

7336799820_4f56c18f1c_c.jpg

I assume the slab overhang relative to the pillars will increase in size for seven or eight floors before it will decrease again.

Last edited:
Here is a picture taken from a different angle in support of The_Architect's explanation. The orange line is the resulting gradual curve, despite the bearing pillers sharp change in direction (yellow arrow). The reason is the slab overhang, which is a bit more difficult to notice (red arrow). You can also see that the dividing walls still go all the way to the edge of the slabs (turqois arrow).[/IMG]

I assume the slab overhang relative to the pillars will increase in size for seven or eight floors before it will decrease again.

Right on udo, nice info

Back