Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Is the big concrete wall on the north side going to be covered with or abutt a structure or something else?

It'll be interesting to see how they cover up (or not) the angled jonts where the concrete columns merge on the angled bit.
Other than those bits of concrete, the structure looks amenable to having a more transparent facade - there's use of round columns set back from the curtain wall and even the other walls are "end-on" to the curtain wall and set back a bit.

My guess is that the large number of balconies on the east, south and west facades required then to use window wall on those elevations, while the balcony-free north side was able to use curtain wall. I'm not sure exactly why, but balconies and curtain wall seem either incompatible or difficult (too expensive) to integrate.

from today
20111231038.jpg

20111231034.jpg

20111231033.jpg

I just don't see this one turning out well at all. Another Libes-not-so-kind.

If you can foresee something the rest of us cannot, please share..

I agree with AG---The friggin' building is just getting started and the renders look nice, podium changes aside. Here's an idea: Let's wait and see.

If you can foresee something the rest of us cannot, please share..

I agree with AG---The friggin' building is just getting started and the renders look nice, podium changes aside. Here's an idea: Let's wait and see.

First of all - I've always thought the renderings looked fairly brutal. My opinion. The building form currently looks awkward, like a weird tacked on growth to the Sony Centre. Also the building base was meant to be slightly smaller and expand upward - that part should be evident and I don't see it. Right now the completed floors look like a basic box.

The cladding pieces we've seen look like a piece of lego. And yes... we've only seen 2 pieces, but I think when we saw the four seasons cladding most ppl were blown away.

The building is over 30% of its final height... and to my first point, I just don't see it turning out great.

I just don't see this one turning out well at all. Another Libes-not-so-kind.

I agree totally...I was appalled when I first saw the renders. I thought it was very ugly and inappropriately placed, ruining the look of the beautiful O'Keefe Centre (a name I refuse to change in my mind, for when it was in its heyday it was a beautiful and modern structure and a centre of culture.)

I think the L Tower is going to be terrific, although it would have been even better with the original podium....

I agree totally...I was appalled when I first saw the renders. I thought it was very ugly and inappropriately placed, ruining the look of the beautiful O'Keefe Centre (a name I refuse to change in my mind, for when it was in its heyday it was a beautiful and modern structure and a centre of culture.)

lol, alright dude.

Back