Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

Based on the render:

132-137.jpg

my guess is that the panels on the left of androiduk's pic will be on the east and west facades, and the panel on the right will be on the north facade (or maybe the north facade will have mullion free glass, as there is a pronounced "lip" along the edges up the NE and NW corners of the tower, which may indicate the connection of different curtain/window wall systems)

Even on the floorplans at the ltower website, the layouts show different curtain/window wall configurations for the north (top of pic) and east (right of pic) walls:

floorplan_thumb_Lo-L11.jpg

Last edited:
Will there actually be white strips ? Looks like lighting, or different colour glass ?

I doubt it will have lighting on those strips, though if it does that would be truly unique. I think it's just the render artist taking some license. What we expect to see is the cream coloured spandrel panels in the test panels above will be lined up to form the strip patterns... In any case this should be really interesting to watch as it takes shape. This has been my most anticipated building since before I ever joined UT... gotta be like 6+ years now.

Trust me on this. This one is going to just pop against the backdrop of the city when it's completed.

I agree completely... its the way its going to stand out against the fabric of the city and the sky!

Last edited:
I think that you're dead on correct. The north façade appears to be curtainwall glazing while the W and E fit the window wall cladding that we've seen so far.

Im really excited to see a new color poking out in the skyline, theres nothing really tall using this color, and of course it will be an eye catching shape as well. 77 and 99 harbor square is pretty close, its a strange blue that none of the renders were showing.

Does every high profile building have to be clad with a seamless curtain wall or otherwise it will be considered a failure??
I don't think so.

Here's a few examples of buildings, not clad in a seamless curtain wall and that share somewhat of a resemblance to what the sides of the L tower is being clad with. I'd imagine few people would consider theses failures;
X6_Feb7-10.jpg

courtesy of dt_toronto_geek

TD%2006.jpg

http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/tdcentre/index.htm

Taken today. Following in the footsteps of Atlantis (hope that's ok). :)

haha, always ok cruzin :), and thanks for the photos! You got much better lighting conditions than I had that last time. Can't wait to see more of that floor clad to get a better idea of how it's going to look.

Does every high profile building have to be clad with a seamless curtain wall or otherwise it will be considered a failure??
I don't think so.

Here's a few examples of buildings, not clad in a seamless curtain wall and that share somewhat of a resemblance to what the sides of the L tower is being clad with. I'd imagine few people would consider theses failures ...

TD%2006.jpg

http://www.galinsky.com/buildings/tdcentre/index.htm

But, famously, Mies wanted his buildings to have a seamless glass curtain wall. It was only fire codes that forced him to tack those I-beams on the outside...

Rascacielos_de_vidrio.jpg

do you think that the type of cladding was influenced by the amount of concrete that is visible on the exterior?... i mean, this tower has pretty thick slabs with many pillars/concrete walls in between, so all of that would be visible with the type of glass used at FS and what not, it has to be covered up somehow

I think it had to do with cost. Still, I'm expecting curtianwall on the north side of the tower. This tower seems to have a very elegant shape even at this early stage of construction, the concrete lattice work/exo-skeleton looks beautiful in Jasonzed's photos.

Back