Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

June 18
5852100593_82dfde0de3_b.jpg

5852102623_1343abefcb_b.jpg

5852185908_7e3a042365_b.jpg

5852180490_7095389a87_b.jpg

5851623555_c093b38524_b.jpg

It never ceases to amaze me when an architect misses a golden oportunity to tie, thematically, the new and old structures together.

If you are going to make this mechanical thingy covered in siding instead of patterned, ceramic-fritted glass (as we all expected)...Why not make the slanty dark parts out of aged and patina-ed copper (or replicate the look at least in some modern material) so as to match the Sony building from this view?

Something like this quick render:

(Close-up from drum118's image above plus some of my crappy Photoshop work)

UGH! I give up on today's designers. They have no eye for this stuff.

:mad:

Some times designers can come up with some great stuff, but the manufactors can't build it due to lack of skills or material that will do the job in the first place. Then there is the high labour cost to do it, if it is a real custom job, that it price out of the project.

Being on the manufactoring side, I can defend the designers to a point, but over all, they lack the skill and vision of our fore fathers. Had to show some of them over the years how to do thing right and they get more money than I do.

What a bizarre looking structure right now. It looks like a low rise commercial building with a lean-to attached to it. Absolutely no hint that a nice addition to our skyline is coming.

lj19.jpg

Then again... I suppose we won't have to look at this crappy aluminum siding very long... After all, this is Toronto: :D

(Original by drum118 found in this thread)

The corner entrance cutout has started to take on some grandeur in the last few days. Already quite fetching in its skeletal form.

Back