Toronto Kings Club at King High Line | 57.6m | 18s | First Capital | Kasian

From today:
IMG_3060.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3060.JPG
    IMG_3060.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,209
Since there are now a lot of rental buildings going up, I'm wondering if the build quality is designed to be better for rental than condo. I ask this because the owner of rental building will want and probably be more sophisticated than the average condo buyer in getting it built for low-maintenance operation. What kind of differences might we see in the cladding and window/spandrel walls and other areas that would lead to lower maintenance costs than the typical condo? Does anyone see evidence of newer rental buildings like (Motion at Dundas/Bay, the Morgaurd building at St.Clair/Bathurst, others?) having lower-maintenance design?

Since there are now a lot of rental buildings going up, I'm wondering if the build quality is designed to be better for rental than condo. I ask this because the owner of rental building will want and probably be more sophisticated than the average condo buyer in getting it built for low-maintenance operation. What kind of differences might we see in the cladding and window/spandrel walls and other areas that would lead to lower maintenance costs than the typical condo? Does anyone see evidence of newer rental buildings like (Motion at Dundas/Bay, the Morgaurd building at St.Clair/Bathurst, others?) having lower-maintenance design?

Haha. Nope. I don't see the build quality being any better. Could even be worse. The owner of the condo building does not cae about how sophisticated the renter is. Just someone that will pay rent on time and not damage the place. That is it.

As far as low maintenance design it seems that these newer rental buildings going up are designed to look just like condos. Should allow the landlord to charge more rent.

The ultimate goal is to cash out as a fairly quick flip or as a conversion to condos maybe once building systems reach end of life. I don't think the private equity/ capital markets financing these towers is all that interested at the return from the income generated which, despite the every increasing rents, would still take upwards of 25 to 30 years to pay out.

Oct 16 2016 - main tower is slowly rising.

The cranes now have the "Brookfield Multiplex" logo:
upload_2016-10-16_17-38-44.png

IMG_20161016_160306.jpg
IMG_20161016_160254.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20161016_160306.jpg
    IMG_20161016_160306.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 665
  • IMG_20161016_160254.jpg
    IMG_20161016_160254.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 653
  • upload_2016-10-16_17-38-44.png
    upload_2016-10-16_17-38-44.png
    14.2 KB · Views: 626
are there any updated renders for this project? the building is noticably different than that in the renders in the database right now. The tallest tower currently on the site is supposed to have a setback 11 floors up from the retail base, but the building is now 12 floors up without one. Also there is missing facade articulation on the east side of the tower.

from the most recent plans on the city website

here

1100king.jpg

Attachments

• 1100king.jpg
    1100king.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 579
Last edited by a moderator:
^ that looks like what's getting built. The tallest tower looks like an aimless blob now, but the other changes don't look too bad.

aimless blob describes Kasian's work to a tee.

I don't know if they have taken over the project. Their name is on the drawings.

Back