Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

I received a letter from Westbank recently that the occupancy date had been delayed, due to Covid and the labour strike.
No dates given, but most likely a year of delay.
Otherwise, it looks like construction is moving nicely.

Jul 15, .2022

7D6C3098-8038-4504-B740-72331A0706E5_1_201_a.jpeg

0ED3E12D-5643-4D2E-8EBB-5A10B64E6DB5.jpeg

17062D1E-85C7-403E-86B0-214617D19EDD.jpeg

E2DC10EB-822A-4670-B169-F9543C8AE715.jpeg

Attachments

• 9F455B74-8420-4613-B7B1-DB439ED9D54B_1_102_o.jpeg
    9F455B74-8420-4613-B7B1-DB439ED9D54B_1_102_o.jpeg
    259.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Screenshot_20220729-110519_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220729-110527_Instagram.jpg

I read about how the glass blocks were going to be assembled into a curtainwall system a few pages back, but I was too lazy to check through the entire thread for any discussions about the thermal efficiencies of glass block ... so a quick search:

> Standard glass block windows are about as efficient as (double pane) thermal-pane windows.
> Some glass block windows also have low-E glass properties - they are able to reduce the amount of heat lost through the window
> A good sound insulator
> Low maintenance
> Great at withstanding damage from outside elements

I read about how the glass blocks were going to be assembled into a curtainwall system a few pages back, but I was too lazy to check through the entire thread for any discussions about the thermal efficiencies of glass block ... so a quick search:

> Standard glass block windows are about as efficient as (double pane) thermal-pane windows.
> Some glass block windows also have low-E glass properties - they are able to reduce the amount of heat lost through the window
> A good sound insulator
> Low maintenance
> Great at withstanding damage from outside elements

These might be a dumb questions but are these glass blocks hollow or solid glass and is there any additional material behind the glass blocks or are they just stacked on top of each other?

For what it's worth, over 20 years ago I owned a house and we put in a glass-block wall to fill in an old (large) window opening. The blocks were hollow - though very solid - and were laid like bricks or tiles from what I remember. I THINK they used some sort of silicone mixture - similar to (or same as) for tiles. I was there again recently and it still looked great.

I don't know if they're all hollow/solid, but I've seen the mock-up and I've seen some of the frames, and in the frames I saw there were some broken glass blocks that appeared to be hollow within.

Again, I haven't seen all of the frames, but in the frames I saw there was some kind of paper-ish backing against the blocks. That might've just been for mock-up purposes though, to give a better sense of what the frame would look like when installed into a building. They tend to do that a lot, especially as it helps give a sense of colours and such.

I believe they are all hollow - it'd be super-heavy if they aren't. Vid of manufacturing process:

From the sound of it they are basically creating units using glass brick as a cladding material (backed up by reflective sheeting and probably insulation). The catch is they won't be visually translucent (to the interior of the building) - maybe there are sections where it won't get this treatment?

AoD

Last edited:
I believe they are all hollow - it'd be super-heavy if they aren't. Vid of manufacturing process:

From the sound of it they are basically creating units using glass brick as a cladding material (backed up by reflective sheeting and probably insulation). The catch is they won't be visually translucent (to the interior of the building) - maybe there are sections where it won't get this treatment?

AoD

There's a mix of opaque and translucent blocks. From a UT story:

"The materials include glass block with a mirrored back coating for walls that are opaque on the interior, creating depth and radiance when the sunlight hits them. In other places, the glass block will be translucent on both sides, allowing daylight in for residents or providing a glow on the exterior at nighttime."

https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2021/0...presented-construction-continues-king-toronto

Back