Toronto KING Toronto | 57.6m | 16s | Westbank | Bjarke Ingels Group

Also, I'm unclear on how the rooftop terraces work. Where's the access?

They look more like private patios to me - by unit? Sliding glass doors could look slick. It would be neat if they can map out of a route that would be accessible by the residents at large - like some kind of QBob game.

AoD

Standards may vary.

re: Project

One thing I wish the project would flesh out a little better is how the structure will interface with the existing heritage buildings - something more than facadism would add interest.

AoD

I was left wondering that as well. Bjarke kept saying 'retained' but then showed images of existing buildings with large new elements piled on top. Some clarity would be nice but it's still early days.

They look more like private patios to me - by unit? Sliding glass doors could look slick. It would be neat if they can map out of a route that would be accessible by the residents at large - like some kind of QBob game.

AoD

Agreed. I love how at Ingels' figure 8 building in Copenhagen you can access a stairway from outside of the building that goes up to the roof passing units so you can actually interact with the residents like walking along a street. Picture below....

Attachments

• Ingels Figure 8 Building.jpg
    Ingels Figure 8 Building.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 350
I was left wondering that as well. Bjarke kept saying 'retained' but then showed images of existing buildings with large new elements piled on top. Some clarity would be nice but it's still early days.

Indeed - and it would be even more amazing if it can "float" above them.

AoD

Indeed - and it would be even more amazing if it can "float" above them.

AoD

Better yet, have the form of the building dip down enough so that it doesn't rise over the heritage structures, and turn the rooftops of the heritage buildings into larger open green spaces for residents. (The valleys can be where the existing buildings are, and hills can rise up from those)

We now have a full set of renderings with close-up images up in the dataBase file for the project, linked at the top of the page. You'll get your best look yet at the details, early as they may be!

We now have a full set of renderings with close-up images up in the dataBase file for the project, linked at the top of the page. You'll get your best look yet at the details, early as they may be!

Thank you interchange. All the work you and others do to bring this info is greatly appreciated. In this case, especially exciting.

That street level view is brutal. Hopefully they can introduce more variation along the streetwall, and a bit more colour. I had expected something more along the lines of habitat in terms of units jutting in and out - the harsh verticality doesn't work in my books.

I went into that video presentation with very high expectations. I've been a long-time fan of BIG and I was curious what their methodology would produce in Toronto. I have to say, I am now a lot more skeptical and quite deflated. I don't really know whether the social life of that courtyard will really play out as envisioned. There are plenty of buildings in Toronto that have attempted that same thing with very poor results (some of the less than popular alleyways in Yorkville come to mind, as does the New College old residence on the University of Toronto campus. Inward looking buildings may be innovative on the outskirts of Copenhagen but here it looks like something out the the 70's place-making playbook.

If they can build on some of the life that wants to flow between King and Wellington, and which will grow a great deal when The Well goes in, the courtyard should be fine… as long as the arched passages themselves are welcoming too. (I want the arches a little higher and lighter, myself.)

sorry for being off topic. I was wondering they can put some solar panels on the top of the building and they sure will produce a lot of electricity.

With the vast majority of the roofs here acting as terraces, this would be one of the least obvious proposals suitable for rooftop solar panels in the city.

Interesting as some of the trees in the render are evergreen trees. Would be great to have green at all times of the year.

Back