Toronto King East Centre | 140m | 39s | First Gulf | WZMH

No Frills has applied for a building permit so THAT rumour is confirmed.

TORONTO ON M5A 3X5

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 148311 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Apr 9, 2010

Project: Multiple Use/Non Residential Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations to portion of ground floor for new retail store. Tenant - "No Frills". See PPR 10 110364.

Really, does this 'hood need another grocery store? There's Sobeys and Metro on Front and Loblaws on Jarvis. Selection is definitely a good thing, however - I pity the poor folks out in Queen/King west who have nothing.

My only hope is for an honest to goodness LCBO.

There are plans to greatly expand the LCBO at Front/Market by extending it south (to The Esplanade) on the 2nd floor of the old Fish Market building on Market Street. Not sure when it is planned to start but it does seem to be going ahead. The buildings are owned by Oberman, the guy who rebuilt the Summerhill LCBO - which he also owns.

Really, does this 'hood need another grocery store? There's Sobeys and Metro on Front and Loblaws on Jarvis. Selection is definitely a good thing, however - I pity the poor folks out in Queen/King west who have nothing.

That was my first reaction, but then as I thought about it more, I figured they are planning ahead for future developments as well. There are numerous condo developments underway within walking distance (King East, Clear Spirits, etc.) and huge plans for the development of the West Don Lands. This would put pressure on the little Sobey's, and since these developments will be east of Berkely the SLM Metro and Queen's Quay Loblaw's would start to be quite far.

Perhaps "nothing" is a slight exaggeration, however Liberty Village is good if you live in Liberty Village, but even if you live on the north side of the tracks, it can be quite the trek if you're walking (as I used to). And yes, Loblaws is finally under construction, which should definitely help this area.

Kensington Market's little grocery store isn't a full-fledged supermarket, but it will do in a pinch.

The St Lawrence Market area really is bursting at the seams with grocery stores - it's great.

The St Lawrence Market area really is bursting at the seams with grocery stores - it's great

That might be but I'm constantly amazed at how much more we pay for stuff than my suburban living parents. Hopefully a No Frills will force Sobeys and Metro to cut their prices.

That might be but I'm constantly amazed at how much more we pay for stuff than my suburban living parents. Hopefully a No Frills will force Sobeys and Metro to cut their prices.

Yea I hate this ... how can they get away with it??

Yea I hate this ... how can they get away with it??

I realize we're getting quite OT, however...

First, I've never noticed. The difference certainly isn't enough to cause any real harm to my financial picture.

Second, there are factors which make it more costly to operate in a dense urban area, most importantly being higher rents. Of course those costs have to be passed on to someone.

Higher rents is one. Lack of a car is another. My folks have no qualms driving 15 minutes to get groceries cheaper. I don't own a car. Transit isn't really useful. I have a Metro that's a one minute walk. They know they got me.

Higher rents is one. Lack of a car is another. My folks have no qualms driving 15 minutes to get groceries cheaper. I don't own a car. Transit isn't really useful. I have a Metro that's a one minute walk. They know they got me.
You're forgetting to factor in the cost of a car, insurance, and fuel.

Really, does this 'hood need another grocery store? There's Sobeys and Metro on Front and Loblaws on Jarvis.

I think this new No Frills is a replacement for the old Valu-Mart on Sherbourne which is now a Dollarama and since it is near the Esplanade housing project, No Frills would be a great addition to the neighbourhood.

I, for one, will be very happy to see a No Frills so close to the Distillery, which is where I live. I use so many of the PC products that it will be great to have them close at hand. While I enjoy the huge selection and 'upscale' feel of the Queen's Quay Loblaws, and cringe at the gaudy yellow trademark colour of No Frillsstores along with
their unimaginative decor, I'll welcome lower prices for quality food.

Last edited:
There are plans to greatly expand the LCBO at Front/Market by extending it south (to The Esplanade) on the 2nd floor of the old Fish Market building on Market Street. Not sure when it is planned to start but it does seem to be going ahead. The buildings are owned by Oberman, the guy who rebuilt the Summerhill LCBO - which he also owns.
That's great news! I was hoping someone would come along and save that salmon / yellow building.

Back