Toronto King Blue by Greenland | 155.75m | 48s | Greenland | Arcadis

Good news, and hopefully this proposal will die before they deface the Westinghouse building for this unfortunate development. I still lament the loss of the beautiful stacked boxes design.

As do I, but it's important to remember that that 'design' was never intended to be built. It was simply KPMB's vision for what could happen on the site if an owner were to develop it with taller towers. As it turns out, a different owner bought it (Steve Gupta / The Easton Group), hired a different (inferior) architect and advanced the proposal to the point we see it today (King Blue).

That we were fortunate enough to get a peek at the original concept is, though nice, a bit of a tease as there was little to tie it to reality (a finalized design, working drawings, etc.).

I also won't shed a tear if this project fails. This is the prime lot in the Entertainment District. It deserves far better architecture.

Just snapped this yesterday, overlooking the whole lot.
king-blue-westinghouse.jpg

Attachments

• king-blue-westinghouse.jpg
    king-blue-westinghouse.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 414
Good perspective there. If this thing goes up your point of view will be a good one.

As for the building...I dunno, I don't mind it. Not amazing, but I don't think it's terrible. I wouldn't mind seeing it go up.

That the marketing for this project refers to the architecture as "stunning" makes me question the credibility of every other aspect of this project. Their first representation to the customer right out of the gate is a barefaced lie.

While at first I was indifferent to this project as I find the base to not onnly be solid urbanism, but a good design, which offset the horrid tower, I am increasingly wanting this to fail as the ugliness of the tower is starting to be overpowering.

While at first I was indifferent to this project as I find the base to not onnly be solid urbanism, but a good design, which offset the horrid tower, I am increasingly wanting this to fail as the ugliness of the tower is starting to be overpowering.

Agreed. The only other projects I'd like to fail more than this are the ones slated for Restaurant Row and Widmer. I also wouldn't mind if Ten York bit the dust.

Couldn't agree more, with the exception of 10 York. It will turn out quite nicely if it is anything like the hull mark centre. But if tridel pulls a 300 front street, we might be in trouble.

As do I, but it's important to remember that that 'design' was never intended to be built. It was simply KPMB's vision for what could happen on the site if an owner were to develop it with taller towers. As it turns out, a different owner bought it (Steve Gupta / The Easton Group), hired a different (inferior) architect and advanced the proposal to the point we see it today (King Blue).

That we were fortunate enough to get a peek at the original concept is, though nice, a bit of a tease as there was little to tie it to reality (a finalized design, working drawings, etc.).

Ah, I didn't even realize that. For some reason I thought it was officially proposed, but just never made it to sales.

Back