Toronto Karma Condos | 165.8m | 50s | Lifetime | a—A

i get it - if i don't agree with your point of view, then I'm wrong? Not very democratic? I thought this was a forum for urban planning discussions but it sounds like everyone here is an architect/or wanna be, lockstep thinking? As i say I LOVE living downtown. If you see the report for the builing on line, you can see the multiple infractions the developer plans outline. He's proposed numerous elements that are in direct contravention to established policy. I"m not a "nimby" dude believe me!

You don't have to move to Brampton to escape highrise construction--most of Cabbagetown, the Annex, and more are construction free and quite dead most hours of the day....

That parking lot must go--it's a waste of prime land here, so 52s by aA is indeed welcomed.

As for starting work early--lotsa office workers in theory work 9-5, yet many arrive much much earlier--bastards! (They wake me up leaving earlier for work.)

nasty.i didnt realize personal attacks were allowed here. Well ..I have lived in this Grenville area for 17 years and love it. no car. easy access. quiet street - then not 1 but 2 coops built. then not 1 but 2 condos. try shopping for food or necessities and the long lineup. the area just is not eqiupped with services of all kids to accommodate another 1,000 residents. I guess you have not lived next to a construction site - it starts around 4.30 am. I kid you not. So yes, one more high rise is a serious affliction to this very dense area. Plus that property is very small, i mean VERY small. The city council has been dealing with the developers attempt to circumvent common rules and regs, and it is not an improvement.

Come on, construction doesn't start at 4:30am. If for some reason it does why haven't you called your City Councillor?
As an area grows or intensifies so will support services, as mentioned above. That's a good thing, not a bad thing. What area is more equipped to handle more residents than this?! Almost everything one needs is a five or ten minute walk away which is part of what makes living by the Bay/Yonge/Church St. corridors so desirable. This spot is perfect for a highrise.

thanks for being polite. yah i wake up at 5.45 anyway for work, but to be awakened at 4.30 am by construction blows.

nasty.i didnt realize personal attacks were allowed here. Well ..I have lived in this Grenville area for 17 years and love it. no car. easy access. quiet street - then not 1 but 2 coops built. then not 1 but 2 condos. try shopping for food or necessities and the long lineup. the area just is not eqiupped with services of all kids to accommodate another 1,000 residents. I guess you have not lived next to a construction site - it starts around 4.30 am. I kid you not. So yes, one more high rise is a serious affliction to this very dense area. Plus that property is very small, i mean VERY small. The city council has been dealing with the developers attempt to circumvent common rules and regs, and it is not an improvement.

That was hardly a personal attack. If in fact you don't like waiting in long lineups for food or necessities, and if in fact you want ample services to accomodate children, then moving to the (inner) suburbs is a sensible choice, and indeed what most families do. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Living in a city means sharing space with thousands of other people at a time. It means constant growth and transformation. These are fundamental and inevitable realities of living in a big city. For some that kind of intensity and dynamism is quite attractive. In fact, it's that "big city" feel that draws people to the core and which makes the city a vital and vibrant place. If, on the other hand, you prefer a more peaceful, stable and quiet environment, why struggle to create a precarious oasis of it in the heart of the largest, tallest, densest and most dynamic city in the country? If you can't reconcile your desired lifestyle with the reality of downtown living, then don't live downtown.

I can appreciate your desire for the city to remain a static and unchanging place that is built around accomodating only those people who already live there, but you have to appreciate that the city isn't here just for you and your family. Other people want to enjoy the advantages of living downtown as well, and in fact a lot of them do like high-density living.

Last edited:
i get it - if i don't agree with your point of view, then I'm wrong? Not very democratic?

Exactly! it's been my lifelong mission to stifle YOU and your opinions, dianeburke. I've been using my superpowers to side-step democratic, free-market processes, manipulating the real-estate market in Toronto to ensure your neighbourhood's EXTRA-attractive to real-estate developers! And you thought it was the subway access, high density zoning, condo bubble and central location ;P

I thought this was a forum for urban planning discussions but it sounds like everyone here is an architect/or wanna be, lockstep thinking?

architecture, urban planning, landscape, real estate development, urban design... they're all part of the same discussion... the more opinions the better... but as in all democracies, competition in the marketplace of ideas lead to widespread acceptance of some ideas and rejection of others. We're all free to disagree. That IS democracy. :)

Last edited:
yes it does start at 4.30 am. yes i have complained over the years. and yes I sent emails to all city departments. dont you belive the developers 'own'city hall? "perfect for ANOTHER highrise"....you guys talk about green space....well, there is less of it every day...this project will require removing a number of trees...Grenville will be 100% no 'space'..and that is the issue for me. Literally not an inch of space between buildings. Dont confuse me with some empty nester. No kids. No car. just working professional who likes the neighborhood despite the overcrowding. You can see the developer's infractions if you view the proposal online at city council but it looks like no one here has read that.

9-21 Grenville Street - Zoning Amendment Application - Preliminary Report
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2011/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-35408.pdf

YUP .... looks like 'just another' glass box / tower with balconies wrapping around 3 sides of the building ~ :rolleyes:

according to the elevations, it indicates the balcony glass will be "sandblasted frit tempered glass, balcony to run 200mm below balcony slab"; which suggest the balconies may look somewhat like Festival Tower

sadly my property value has not gone up since the condos went up Murano/Burano...you are paying lipserve to democracy, you can nicely say "you are welcome to your opnion' but that is not the tenor on these boards. far from it.

thank yo for posting this; 3 times the allowed gross floor area, and 3 times the allowed height for this zone. surely logic prevails. its too high, too dense, too crammed to work efficiently.

yes it does start at 4.30 am. yes i have complained over the years. and yes I sent emails to all city departments. dont you belive the developers 'own'city hall? "perfect for ANOTHER highrise"....you guys talk about green space....well, there is less of it every day...this project will require removing a number of trees...

From the online proposal that no one here has read:

"There are a total of 2 trees on this site subject to the City’s Private Tree By-law or Public Street Tree By-law. One of these trees must be removed in order to accommodate the proposed development. The applicant has submitted an arborist report and a tree preservation plan which will be reviewed by Urban Forestry staff."

Darth-Vader-No.jpg

In reality, there have been essentially no projects in the city that have eliminated any signficant green space. The vast majority of projects go up over parking lots, empty lots or older buildings. In fact, most projects contribute funding to the city's parks via s. 37 contributions.

Last edited:
YUP .... looks like 'just another' glass box / tower with balconies wrapping around 3 sides of the building ~ :rolleyes:

according to the elevations, it indicates the balcony glass will be "sandblasted frit tempered glass, balcony to run 200mm below balcony slab"; which suggest the balconies may look somewhat like Festival Tower

I'm intrigued by the "pre finished aluminum glazing system." What's that all about?

you are paying lipserve to democracy, you can nicely say "you are welcome to your opnion' but that is not the tenor on these boards. far from it.

Just because you're welcome to your opinion does not mean that we have to agree with you. Are you shocked that people on a message board specficially devoted to building development vehemently disagree with your anti-development opinions? Why don't you try going to a Leafs message board and starting a thread about how much you think the Leafs should move to St. Louis, and see what the reaction is there? Seriously, welcome to the internet.

Last edited:

Back